Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Disappointing response for petition

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Gillian, Feb 23, 2008.

1. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

When the dog is on private property the police have no powers,the current legislation does not cover any person that is bit on private property.

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Because the owners do control the dog by holding it back, it would be deemed as under control, rather foolish to let children walk the dog, unless the dog has ever bitten a person or another animal, there is really nothing to report, but I do understand why people would be worried. In my opinion the dog should be muzzled when in public to prevent a bite situation.

3. claire

claire Guest

it has nearly bit the postman i think it ripped his bag or something that why they wont go there, its not under control and should be removed before it gets chance to bite anyone its our kids who will one day play on that street so are at risk and i would support it being removed

4. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Yes thats true,but if and when someone is bitten on private property,they can't do anything if the owner refuses to pts the offending dog.

Such as the postman gets a bite to his arm,theres nothing that can be done if the owner refuses to pts,this is why the current DDA fails,the act doesn't legislate for that.

5. claire

claire Guest

so maybe instead of seizing a dog should they make it that if your dog is reported as being nasty or out of control you should have to see a Behavioural Advisor and take correct action or it be seize?

6. Jenny Olley

I am sure you are worried Claire as I would be if I had children in the vacinity, but unfortunately nothing could be done until the dog bites someone. Who has it been reported to ? the local dog warden would probably go and speak to the person about the local concerns, if they had enough reports.

7. claire

claire Guest

im not too sure i know the police were informed by the post office and the nieighbour hood watch warden that lives on the street. its sad really cos its a rescue dog so its gone from a bad situation to a worse one

8. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

But again that can cause problems,i.e with a neighbour who you have a dispute with,you can't just go on somebodies word that a dog is nasty or aggressive.

I don't agree with dogs been seized and kept in confinment for months maybe even years,before it goes to court,what is hoped to be achieved regarding the poor dog?
    Surely by confining it you are either going to make a non aggressive dog aggressive or make the problems it has even worse.

9. claire

claire Guest

but what if its aggression is seen first hand? or reported by a good source such as the post office? and surely someone like a Behavioural Advisor would be able to tell if the dog was truely aggressive or it was a false claim? prevention is better than cure get something done before the dog bites! im sure the families of dog that have attacked wish the had acted or been made to act before it was too late

10. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

It would be hard as there are different triggers to aggression.

My bitch hates some other dogs with a passion,she hates loose dogs running at her full pelt and she is always up to defend herself,some might see that as aggression I don't.

My neighbours staffords in the front garden and play rough,bark at people walking past again this could be interpretated as aggression,when it's not.

Some people assume wrongly that a dog aggressive dog is human people aggressive,the two don't go hand in hand and are totally different.

11. claire

claire Guest

yes and im sure someone like a Behaviourist would be able to tell the difference!

12. Jenny Olley

Depends on how good the behaviourist is, as Sallyanne has said their are different triggers to make a dog aggressive. If this is a rescue dog maybe the owners are trying to do something about it, or maybe they just don't know what to do, unfortunately if they asked at the rescue centre they may have been told to "just manage it", for some reaso that seems a favoured bit of advice !!

13. claire

claire Guest

they do nothing with it, its left outside to bark for hours cos they cant cope and this dog is aggressive to everyone and other animals, its also a big dog there back yard backs on to my mums back yard so ya see it locked out all day. ive never seen a dog like it,

14. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Report it to the RSPCA then.

15. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

Sorry me not signing petition either :(

16. totalzoo

totalzoo PetForums Newbie

I will absolutly NOT sign such a thing, it takes away the rights of dog owners, and there are far too fine a line between what can be called "dangerous". one of my dogs is fear aggressive, the police do NOT know the differnce between aggression and fear aggression, what if someone decided that she was dangerous, reported it and the police could just walk in and take her? frankly I would rather go to jail for the murder of the sorry cops who tried to lay a hand on my dog.

17. claire

claire Guest

OMG what utter waffle were having a discussion about keeping people safe even if we dont agree how its done not killing people:confused:

18. Gillian

Gillian PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all the feedback to my original post. For those of you who won't sign what do you suggest in circumstances such as my own where four of my pet sheep have been torn to pieces and one has had terrible injuries? These dogs continue to kill and kill again. They've chased a young horse through a post and wire fence - 26in gash to his leg. What can be done in this situation. I too hate the thought of dogs being incarcerated for months but what is the option?

People glibly bandy about the expression 'shoot' them. Well if you don't live on the land and different people witness each attack it is almost impossible. I SHOULD have had them shot the first time when I caught them but stupidly gave the owner the benefit of the doubt. He finds the situation rather amusing, having far too much money and thinking the countryside is his dogs playground.

Yes facilities for holding dogs should be better and maybe my petition should read, "police should be able to get a warrant to destroy dogs, prior to court action should there be overwhelming evidence the dogs are dangerous".

My sheep are now being kept in a tiny field 5 miles from home with no grazing while these dogs are free to roam. You think that this is fair?

It's all very well saying you don't support it, but what alternatives do you offer. If you say remove the dogs from the owner, fine. But who is going to want to take the risk that having killed on several occasions they now won't go for a child? When we caught them originally they were so wired they went for my friend. The owner of these dogs will probably face a fine of a couple of hundred pounds, which is peanuts to him. I'm hoping we can get a ban on him ever owning dogs again, but I've been told this is highly unlikely.

So what can be done?

The main problem is society today is everyone knows their rights and very few know their responsibilities.

19. claire

claire Guest

i was shocked really that people dont agree with a really aggressive dog being sieze they are dangerous, you wouldnt be allowed to keep a gun or something if it wasnt under control and kept away from the public securely so why can they keep the dogs they are as capable of causing as much damage in the wrong hands!

20. AJ

AJ Guest

Most people do agree that aggressive dogs should be taken from their owners.

The reason they won't sign the petition is they don't agree that the police should have the power to do so because of the way the dogs are treated after.

If the dogs were going to a safe clean environment where an effort was made to kerb the dogs aggression I'm sure many more people would sign the petition.

Your talking to a group of animal lovers and asking them to sign a petition to encourage already neglected dogs to be even more neglected.

Something needs to be done, and if you read other posts on here you'll see many discussions about simular subjects but people aren't going to sign something that encourages such poor treatment of animals.

Its the owners who should be stuck in a kennel for months on end.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice