Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Disappearing Snail! Help!

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by Deleted member 24724, Jul 23, 2009.

1. OK, I've got 3 young snails, not very young, but they are pretty small. They have a large tank between them. It is bedded in soil, with a shallow water bowl, a plastic pot full of food, greens ect. An egg shell for calcium, sticks and grass for fun ect, ect. Last night, all 3 snails were in the tank, but when I woke up this morning Blackberry (yes, thats her name) has gone missing! Well, should I say, shes disappeared. :eek: Do garden snails dig? I've check everywhere, under all the items in there. I've even had a poke about in the soil. Its not possible that she could of gotten out. The lid is tightly shut, and the air holes are tiny.

Any ideas? :eek:hmy:

Thanks

2. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

Yes, they will dig under the soil. One of their favourite places to be. Keeps them safe.

Why have you got garden snails, as pets?

3. Because you can keep garden snails as pets. Well, I'm not sure if they're garden snails, but I found them in the garden.

4. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

Captive bred animals should be kept as pets, not wild caught ones.

OK, we are only talking about a few snails here, not exactly animals which have difficulty breeding etc but still, those animals born in the wild should stay in the wild.
    I know you are doing nothing wrong, the snails will probably live longer with you but it's not something I would do.

5. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

6. penguinsruledaworld

penguinsruledaworld PetForums Newbie

On two occations, a small garden snail found it's way into my tank of baby snails when I'd clean it & put fresh soil in. I left them there, as it was winter and they would have a better chance of survival. Somehow they escaped in my house and I found them nearly a year later, one on the wall, the other on one of my photograph frames!

I thought it was a mirical they were still alive and as they hadn't eaten for so long, put them back in the tank where they'd get food every day. When I next cleaned it I searched everywhere for them; I had all the other baby snails accounted for, but the 2 garden snails had gone. I've no idea what happened to them; they must have died or escaped again.

Be careful with having garden snails; it's easy to throw them out with old food as they're so small, or equally you can lose them if there's too much soil in the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice