Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dirty tank water for garden

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by skylark3, Oct 13, 2013.

1. skylark3

skylark3 PetForums Newbie

What do you do with the water you take out during water change? I used to take the bucket straight outside and pour it around my roses. They really thrived on this and I had beautiful blooms all summer long. I had to check that no fish had gone up the syphon tube, so I stood the bucket for a few minutes to let it settle. Down the road from us someone used to put the end of the syphon tube out of the window, hopefully they only had large fish!

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

I live in a 2nd floor flat and don't fancy lugging buckets of water down all the stairs, so mine just goes down the toilet I'm afraid! It should be great for plants though, I'm sure they love the extra nitrate. :)

3. Phoenix24

Phoenix24 PetForums Senior

I would have used mine for the plants too, but really wary because i'm not sure about whatever is in the water conditioner being safe? I mean yes its safe for aquatic organisms, but for terrestrial beasties? I know I wouldn't want to drink it (I used Seachem Prime). I think I have used tank water for indoor plants before now. But there's so much water from my trop tank it get pored down the shower (the sink is too small lol)

4. skylark3

skylark3 PetForums Newbie

When I was watering the plants it was about twenty years ago and we weren't putting any additives in the water, no one did. It was out of the tap and straight into the tank. All that was added was a little hot water to adjust the temperature. If I had had to do all this cycling thing when I started my first tank I wouldn't have bothered to keep fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice