Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dirty hamster

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by thedogsmother, Jul 24, 2009.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Angel was a rescue hamster, I got her at age 8 months so I don't know what her living conditions were like prior to that, but she lives in a Hamster Heaven and uses the penthouse bit for sleeping, storing food and as a toilet. This means that she stores her food, then pees and poos on it, then sleeps in the same area (yack). I clean the penthouse out every day, sometimes twice a day but this means I go through a lot of food, the main problem is that she smells bad so obviously she isn't clean. Has anyone else encountered this and has anyone got any ideas to stop it. I removed the penthouse at one point and she just did exactly the same in a corner of her cage. Oh she already has a sand bath but she just uses it as a play area and not a toilet.

2. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

iv had dirty hammys before. the last one i managed to toilet train after a long time, you could try putting out a lot of different beds, my merlin has 4 at the moment and he still sometimes moves the bedding elsewhere. you could try storing the food in an enclosed area full of bedding, as she must think it is safer there, and putting a bed somewhere else as well had trying to toilet train her. cant think of anything else to suggest.

3. thedogsmother

How did you go about toilet training her? She has two toilets in there with chinchilla sand in them and she totally ignores them. I am worried that she could get wet tail as she is sleeping in her own waste even is it is just 24hrs waste it still can't be a good idea.

4. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Maybe she doesn't like the chinchilla sand. You can get small bags of bird sand from Wilkinsons and all of my hammies use it. You could try it. I have got one smelly russian hammie...he wees in his bed and in the sand bath. :eek:ut: :eek:ut:

5. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

i used hamster toilet litter, theres one thats like littlecrystals or theres one thats lots of little balls. id put hamster wee in there or soiled bedding etc, until they got it, also need to extra clean anywhere else they go, as they will tend to go in one place so the smell needs completly removing. some of my hammies have picked it up quickly, merlin is not so clever. lol

I think its biological washing powder that removes smells completly, iv used it when house training for dogs and cats. it removes smells enough so that dog cant smell it so it must remove them enough for hammies, just need to make sure its completly cleaned off first though.

6. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

My Bella poos where she keeps her food but wees somewhere else. I think different hamsters have different habits and it might be quite hard to change those habits.
    Sorry not much help.

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Could you try removing/blocking the penthouse section?

She may then learn to use another section for toileting.

Do you put her soiled bedding into the are you want her to use?

8. thedogsmother

Thanks for the tips, I will try them out. It helps to know that Angel isn't the only mucky pup hamster out there:D.

9. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

If she keeps doing it perhaps you could move her to an aquarium? At least a 20 gallon one. All three of mine are in tanks and they each have a seperate sleeping area and larder. Of course, you know what your own hamsters need best.

10. thedogsmother

She has a huge cage but when I took the penthouse away she just did it in a corner of her cage so I think I will just have to keep trying to change her habits, I think the washing powder trick might help as I think she can smell where she has weed before. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

11. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I have the exact same problem with mine!...
    He has done it for ages... I am going to have to replace the penthouse now as even when i've cleaned it, it still smells.. The smell seems to be in the plastic now if that makes sense...
    I tried toilet training him but it didnt work... :rolleyes:

12. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Fingers and toes crossed. :p

I hope you can break her of the bad habbits and fast.

13. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

The food could be the problem!!!

They wee and poop on it to protect it from other hamsters coming to take it from them!

Try moving the food elsewhere to see if Buffy will go and do her business there! They eat their own poop anyway because sometimes it has undigested food in there.

14. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Yep, one of their most endearing features. :D

15. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes our Syrian, Honey is exactly the same - she's so dirty. She was weeing and pooing in the penthouse too and so I've removed it now so she's gone back to sleeping in the tubes.:rolleyes: It really smells awful doesn't it and I found it hard to keep removing the penthouse because the tube was attached to it so I just took it out because the cage is big enough anyway isn't it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice