Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diplomatic debate on how to educate a member with a moggie pregnancy

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Gratch, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Hiya, thought we could maybe try this and see what we can all come up with something to try and get important information across to new/members dealing with a moggie pregnancy and maybe even new/members that haven't yet spayed/neutered their cats. I was thinking maybe we could all collaborate and compress the information into a thread in an organised manner later and maybe request that it be stickied in both the breeding section and cat chat? Just an idea! I keep going on about politely educating people and would like to put the arguing to better use :D It would be lovely if you could all take some time to debate here and contribute and we can see what happens. Hopefully by the end of it we'll have alot of good information to sticky that we can link to in threads about cat pregnancy.

Edit: There's no point saying 'there shouldn't BE a moggie pregnancy' as it isn't constructive in this case.

staceydawlz likes this.
  2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

I think there are too many situations to have one 'plan' for all.

There are people who delib breed moggies, litters through negligent pet ownership, those who take on ferals/strays who are already pregnant etc.

There is also the issue of when to spay a pregnant female. Some people are dead against it, some people think it is fine. So theres another bone of contention.

I am of the opinion that if you decide not to take advice because it was presented in an abrupt way, then you are being selfish and wouldnt have taken the advice anyway. Many people simply want the cute fluffy kittens, and dont care what people think. Whilst the advice given may not be what people want to hear, it is most often accurate. It really needs to be seen that is is NOT ok to have an ooops litter, even if you promise to spay afterwards. That whole thing of, if every cat has one litter, and her kits have one litter etc etc etc.

3. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I have thought about this Gratch and mentioned it tonight to another member.. :)

4. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Good that some of us are on the same page then! Hopefully this will get the ball rolling. gloworm*mushroom the idea is to hopefully incorporate all situations and section them out neatly in a new thread when the time comes for ease of information. :)

5. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

10 years ago there were always ads for kittens, now its hard to find kittens here, moggies anyway and they are my fav. Although we have cat rescues here not many are kittens. I had my last litter of moggies 16 years ago or more as my oldest cat is 16 and she wasn't one of mine I had to look hard for a kitten, my dogs only accept kittens not adult cats when they are strange to them. So I will watch and read this thread but can not contribute as pedigree cats are rather unheard of around my part of Alberta

6. momentofmadness

I like your thinking.. I also think yes you can read loads of info on a website..

But when OP comes on with questions.. you could just post the link.. then if they have more questions or need some more help there is usually someone here happy to do so.. I also think the final thread should be locked and easy to reach.. :)
    But if it does need adding to over time that this can be done.. :)

7. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

Seriously? Are you kidding? Every single thread about a pregnant moggie or some moggie kittens devolves into this very debate. Gratch doesn't appear to be saying "let's make a thread where we present one point of view". She's actually trying to condense the constant circus of the same arguments into one concise place where someone who has a pregnant moggie can go and read and weigh the advice in one place---she's not asking for one plan, she's asking for education and we should all know that education is not one point of view slapped into your head until you cave under the weight of it.

The fact that everyone says the same stuff over and over and then the OPs don't take the advice happens in all of those threads, but it doesn't stop anyone from saying their peace (as it shouldn't). But to dismiss out of hand an idea to make this a civilized exchange and forum within the forum to educate is a bit short sighted.

8. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Well, in that case, every thread on moggy breeding should have a post saying.

Take her to the vet. Take her to the vet if she has trouble birthing. Then get her spayed before she gets pregnant again. End of discussion.

I may seem overly harsh on people who breed irresponsibly, but, thats fine by me. What else is there to say except look after the current kittens then spay her so she doesnt have to do it again? If that is what you want the 'one plan' to be.

All I was saying is, I dont look as harshly on those who take in preg strays. I do look harshly on those who irresponsibly let their cats get pregnant, and I dont necessarily think those people need the same advice and education given to them. Some people NEED sense slapping into them, as harsh as it may seem.

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

#9 hobbs2004, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  10. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Hobbs....that link to your previous thread is broken, I cannot view it.
    I think this is a great idea Gratch, maybe presenting the info in a series of FAQ so that visitors can get the necessary information delivered in an impartial way.

11. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

But don't people want 'personal' advise? They've had every chance to google and search on here, but they still want to come and ask 'their' question as in their view it's different from everyone elses. When people post a link on these sort of questions the OP is perhaps unlikely to read the link because they want personal advice to their own situation, not a cut and paste 'non-personal' reply.They don't see themselves as the irresponsible moggy owner, the person who could have their queen aborted, the person who allowed an 'accident' to happen etc etc etc so won't see themselves and the answer in the link

Just MHO from a million previous pregnant cat threads

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

It's fixed! :)

13. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

My poor lil brain has gone round and round in circles in an effort to add something constructive and worthwhile to this thread, without sending it into another heated debate. I think, Gratch, there are two distinctly separate issues - prevention and what to do afterwards if you didn't manage to prevent 'it' happening in the first place.

In all sincerity it (the 'it' being, say, a sticky to cover the time someone discovers their cat is pregnant to the time the kittens go to their new homes) is such a big subject I wouldn't know where to start (or end) without it turning into a book; it feels a little overwhelming and I think that may be the case with why people here who do have experience of cat pregnancy/birthing/raising kittens/etc didn't respond in numbers to Hobbs' original idea.. it just feels a little daunting, though I do think it's a great idea for a sticky. Perhaps people here could add a small section of their own, covering each stage of the process, though as we frequently see, opinions vary widly which, in themselves, are often the cause of heated disagreements here.

I think the one thing we'd all be in general agreement on is how to prevent your cat becoming pregnant in the first place so may I respectfully suggest two separate (possible) stickies, with the 'prevention' one first as we all know that's better than cure :)

14. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I absolutely agree Doolally - let's just take the food stickies. They contain a wealth of information, yet people still want to have tailored advice for their situation. And let's face it, some just don't have the inclination to wade through pages of info.

However, if we could have a sticky that outlines roughly the costs of it all and some other info that applies to all, then for that they could be referred on to that thread or at the very least it will be easier for peeps to just copy and paste info and not typing it all out again. ;)

Oh, and I absolutely agree with gSkinner too - two stickies - one prevention, and one for after the fact. However, hasn't TB created one on the virtues of spaying? Could that perhaps simply be renamed?

#14 hobbs2004, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  15. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Thanks for fixing that link Hobbs, it provides interesting background to this discussion
    Hmm, my suggestion would be that the information is presented from the point of view of an amateur....let me explain that suggestion.
    For example...experienced breeders will talk about 'Health testing', now to your average moggie owner that does not mean an awful lot, it is something which quite frankly most would not consider or even understand. Over on MSE recently a poster was talking about letting her beloved Moggie have a litter and was joking about worrying that she would not choose a 'nice boyfriend' . I pointed out that in fact moggie mating is more like a gang rape and that her darling kitty was in real danger of picking up serious infection or being chased across busy roads by amorous toms. Suddenly it all seemed less appealing.

16. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Gratch ... As an owner of a cat who had a litter when you had every opportunity to spay her, what advice in the form of a sticky would have prevented this happening?

Maybe hearing it form the pesrpective of someone like yourself would be a good place to try and work out what we could put together to stop all these "accidental" litters?

To be honest it can be difficult for people who do the right thing and neuter/spay their cats to work out why it is so difficult for others :confused:

There is more information than ever on the internet about neutering and financial help available than years ago ... yet people still let their cats have litters .... Personally I really don't know what angle to approach this from or what info to provide that is not already available.

So, maybe hearing from people like yourself might help :)

hobbs2004 likes this.
  17. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

That's the plan. The point is though, alot of people are going to come on with already pregnant moggies and knowing they're going to keep the litter and it would be good for them to have something to go through if they're atleast waiting for other replies aswell. I was thinking of a format which I'll post soon, with prevention obviously being one of the first topics.

18. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Everyone has different views on costs aswell. Breeders tend to use the best of the best food/litter and that can increase costs dramatically. This is definitely a good point to put in though and will be a section in the format. I'll go think when up and see what you all think.

19. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

So this thread is actually about advice on how to care for a pregnant cat and subsequent litter :confused:

20. momentofmadness

I dont think so as it has been previously stated there could be two sticky's made.. :D about what to do if you think your cat is pregnant/prevention and how to cope if your cat is pregnant/or just had kittens..

Its about putting ideas up.. its about putting your bits in.. and then a good q&a's thread can be made up for it..

You know.. I believe. if a person isn't willing to try.. Then that person doesn't have the right to moan/call someone elses ideas.. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice