Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dilemma!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sophiex, May 31, 2010.

1. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

Oscar is 2, well he'll be 2 on Wednesday :p and he's still crated. He's not destructive nor chewy, so I'm not worried about him being uncrated when no one's home. The reason why he's been crated is because of the house alarm. It's very sensitive and if he knocks the blinds or the doors, it'll go off. We're having the alarm settings changed, so he'll be fine to have the run of the kitchen when we're all out (it's fairly big). We've practiced by shutting the doors and leaving him the kitchen and gone upstairs. I cannot get him to stay in his bed. I want him to lie down in his bed when we go out, so it's not to different to how it was before. The only difference is that the crate door is open. How do we get him to lie down in his bed and stay? I'm worried if he chases us to the door, he'll get distressed.

Thank you in advance. :eek:

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I think given choice and natural curiosity ,he probably wont stay in his bed!
    Try giving him a good walk before you leave him,and maybe a marrow bone or filled Kong to munch on while you are out,hopefully thatll keep him busy and he wont be bothered.If the crate works and he is happy in it,is it nesseccary to change your routine?

3. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Hello!

You may find he will lie down when you are out, my dogs do, and maybe have him in a room without access to the front door. Mine are in the kitchen with a extra tall baby gate fitted, they are up when I go out but when I come in they are all in their beds.

Just put down a kong full of treats or something similar to keep him occupied for a little bit.

I'm sure he will be fine!! Cleo was crate until 10 months, then I let her have the run of the house, and she has been an angel...shes emptied the bin once but thats about it, and ripped up a piece of paper but nothing major.

Best bet is to just try it, its all trial and error.

Good luck!! xx

4. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

Thanks both. I just feel bad leaving him stuck in a crate when there's no real reason to anymore. :eek:

5. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

I'm torn between........

Am I mean for leaving him crated when he's perfectly safe to have more space?

Or

Am I mean for leaving him in a bigger space when he's not used to it?

I'm hoping to re-train him to get used to being uncrated and I'm starting slowly. He definitley doesn't cry.

6. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

Anyone else please? :eek:

7. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

soph, stop crating him.

he's 2. if u don't think hes going to be so much of a problem anymore take the crate away.

we took mika's puppy pen away from him from 5 months of age, and we've let him have free run of the house when we're away - by that i mean all bedroom doors upstairs closed so he doesn't go in there when we're away so he and Dante only have like the kitchen/conservatory and the corridor to run about it.

How are you by the way its been a long time.

8. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Hi ya.Both Mia and Kai were use to a crate up until last August.We stopped using the crate because they spent more time sleeping on a rug we have in the kitchen( which was also where the crate was.Now we have had to bring the crate back because we are going on holiday again in july and they have to be crated at night.The little buggers now use the crate far more than the rug. lol.
    I'd try and put a small rug on the kithen floor and see how he gets on.Good luck, i'm sure he will be fine.:D:D

9. chrissie-h

chrissie-h PetForums Junior

You could try a pet gate over your kitchen door. We put one over the door to our 'dog room' (where they stayed when we went out), and got them used to us coming and going around the house while they were limited to this room. That way they were used to being left in one room while we were around, and when it came to us going out they weren't bothered by it.

10. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

Thanks you for the reassurance. The soon-to-be birthday dog (2 tomorrow! ;)) and I are going full steam ahead with the uncrating. :)

11. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Good luck, i'm sure he will be just fine.:D:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice