Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dilema time, should my dog have the snip?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by davyr, Jan 20, 2012.

1. davyr

davyr PetForums Junior

Our male black lab Cole is booked into get his bits chopped off on the 27th Jan. Shoiuld i or should'nt i? The reason behind my thinking is because i have been talking to a guy this morning that breeds and he says i might change him for the worst as he reeled off a couple off stories.

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

How old is he?

Its personal opinion whether you want to have a male dog neutered or not. Some people say if you have no behaviourial problems with him and you don't own an entire bitch, why chop them off? And some say "if they are not going to use them, why keep them?" So it really does depend on who you ask. :D

3. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I was talking to a couple yesterday with a SBT x Poodle - I kid you not!
    They were talking about getting him done. I asked why and the only reason they gave me was that they weren't planning on breeding him. So I told them neither was I with my boy, but I wasn't cutting his off. They looked puzzled so I said - he hasn't got any medical issues or behavioural issues that would make me want them off, in fact he gets more problems caused by neutered males than entire males and he's more bothered about sniffing and chasing squirrels than most dogs.
    They then asked "what about bitches" - well if one is in season and offlead - thats the owners fault and if Louie did tie with her, I would pay half for the mismate jab. Louie cannot escape to go look for bitches in season so I do not have to worry there and I have seen the signs of when he has smelt a bitch in season so he stays on lead if I see those signs.
    I then said if I was to ever get him done - it would be after 18 months when he would be mentally and physically mature.
    I part own and entire bitch as well (wasn't my decision to keep her entire and she's too old for the op now.), and whilst I try not to have her whilst she is in season, sometimes she does come into season when she is here. I let them be until Louie starts to get frustrated, then they are separated. They are always apart when I go out and if it proves too much for Louie, Sadie goes home, or if her other owners are on holiday - she stays with my Mum.

I used to be on the fence, but now I'm not, if it aint broke don't fix it. However save the pennies up just in case..

There is no way in knowing if your dog will be better behaved or worse after having his bits removed. I think if you're having behavioural troubles - always seek training first, then ops later. If it is a medical issue - then have them removed, unless doing so would cause more problems.. it's really your choice, most vets are for it, as are rescues so they won't deal with the number of puppies your dog or any un-neutered dog could make.. If you had a bitch - I would be saying Spay her.

#3 SLB, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  4. davyr

davyr PetForums Junior

He is 6 months old.

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I'd say he's very young to be considering neutering, do you do much training with him? As long as you keep on top of basic training, there should be no need to neuter really, it doesn't solve any problems in itself, except he can't reproduce, it doesn't guarantee he won't hump or still chase after bitches.

6. davyr

davyr PetForums Junior

Hi there,
    He has no problems whatsoever and is as good as gold. The reason behind us getting him done was that the vet mentioned it. Maybe just another reason to get more cash for his next volvo :laugh:

7. davyr

davyr PetForums Junior

We do the basic training with him. He never really leaves my side unless he sees another dog close by and he tends to want to play but then again he is still a pup.

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Neutering and vaccinations are the main stay of a vets income. They will nearly always try to push you into having them done, and are not always as honest with the "facts" as they could be.

9. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I definitely wouldn't neuter him at six months. Both my male dogs are neutered, the golden at 10 months which in hindsight I feel was too early, and the labrador at 17 months. He was done a bit earlier than I would have liked because he had a tooth needing to be removed asap and the two were done together.

If I had a dog from a pup again I don't know if I would neuter or not. Providing you can keep on top of humping/scent marking you may have no issues keeping your boy intact. We got our lab at 16 months and he wouldn't give the golden a break, constantly humping him over and over and to be quite honest the neutering did actually sort that out completely, he's never humped since. That wasn't why we did it, but regardless I would not neuter at 6 months I would look at 18 months - 2 years plus and probably only neuter if you were having difficulties with him that neutering may be able to help.

10. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Vets will always claim to have them done at 6 months - but it's far too young. Some are even neutering at 12 weeks (or so I've heard) They aren't developed mentally or physically yet and they need that testosterone to help them with it.

I would cancel the Op and go back when he is 18 months if you are certain you want him neutered.

11. davyr

davyr PetForums Junior

Thanks for all your help. Will have to take him in but not for the OP as he seems to have developed an eye infection in his right eye but he is not rubbing it.

12. davyr

davyr PetForums Junior

Thanks for all your help.

13. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Good luck getting his eye sorted, and welcome to the forum btw :)

14. davyr

davyr PetForums Junior

Just letting you guys know that I cancelled the op that was scheduled for next Friday. I asked about the eye infection and the vet told me to dissolve alittle salt in some cool boiled water and bathe the dogs eye and see how it is on monday.

#14 davyr, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  15. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Glad you decided against it. Testosterone helps to close the growth plates, so it's possible that the dog would grow overly leggy if neutered before hesfully grin. Search the thread asking the something and look for Smokey Bear's posts which have a balanced view. (I'm not balanced because I'm very against neutering!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice