Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Digging on the carpet

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by McKenzie, Jan 8, 2021.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

We moved house just over a week ago. Elliot has always been prone to digging on (human) beds but he's done it a few times on the carpet in the new house - I haven't seen him do it but he's left behind carpet fluff. I've blocked off one area he's done it (under a table) but the other one was just in a corner.

Do you think this is anxiety, and he'll stop soon? Or any ideas how I can stop this? It's a rental and I can't afford to replace carpets!

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Highly possible and in a new, strange environment I would think.

Blocking any area he favours is a good idea to avoid any habit forming.

Hopefully, she’ll settle quickly.

McKenzie likes this.
  3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks, I'm wondering if I should put something down (like a blanket or towel) in places he's done it or if this will encourage him more.

Hopefully he settles down soon. Probably didn't help that he had to go to a new groomer yesterday too :Nailbiting

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d think a blanket might encourage him, though a dog bed might work.

A new groomer was probably quite stressful too so it makes sense of it a bit more, I guess?

McKenzie likes this.
  5. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

If it's any consolation, I bought a new kitchen carpet just over a week ago. For the first few days it was down both dogs scratched it and Grisha has actually damaged it. They've stopped doing it now I'm pleased to say.

McKenzie likes this.
  6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yes very bad timing on my part but unavoidable. I felt so sorry for him. She’s lovely though and very good!

Not great Grisha damaged it but great that they have stopped now!

Magyarmum likes this.
  7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Dogs are scent focused so it's probably a reaction to everything smelling weird. I'd put blankets or rugs down that smell of you. We all have a family smell that includes our dogs (unfortunately!) so get your scent over as much of the floor and furniture as possible!

McKenzie and Torin. like this.
  8. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

A friend had this issues with a very diggy dog. They duct taped spare (but not brand new, so familiar smells) pillowcases down in the various places, without creating a human trip hazard. Scent swapping generally as @Sarah H says is good though (I'm not sure why the term "scent swapping" hasn't made it into dog person vocabulary yet, it's a big one in cat circles, and very useful when you want an easy term!).

McKenzie, Sarah H and DanWalkersmum like this.
  9. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Yes scent is a massive thing for cats, but is just as important to dogs (I don't know why people don't think social scenting in dogs is important, but it's a huge thing!)

McKenzie and Torin. like this.
  10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks, I did this the other day (I saw you posted but didn't reply then) and so far he hasn't done it again since then, but I also haven't left him alone since I put the blankets down. I'll be out for a short time today so hopefully he doesn't do it again.

Yes I've read about scent swapping when I lurk in the cat forum! Makes sense!

Sarah H and Torin. like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice