Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Digging, eating garden bark, any ideas

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by orlando1040, Aug 17, 2009.

1. orlando1040

orlando1040 PetForums Junior

Hi have a new 11 week old Golden Retriever pup who insisits on digging up & eating the bark that I have down at the side of my house. I could simply replace this I know but my older dog has been trained to always go to that area in the garden when she needs to pass her "poop". Have tried stones/pebbles before but older dog disliked that hence the bark. Any ideas as I think the pup will be in Australia by September if she continues. She has tried to dig in other areas but has stopped when distracted but insisits on going back to the bark again and again. I am not so concerned with the digging but she eats the bark too which is what concerns me.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Does sound like perfectly normal behaviour, although i understand your concern about the bark.

Is she actually consuming it, or just ripping it up?

3. lemmsy

lemmsy PetForums VIP

Mmm sounds like normal puppy teething type behaviour.
    However is there anyway you can fence off the bark/tree, even if temporarily.

A puppy gate???

4. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Please make sure your garden bark has no cocoa bark in it,this can be deadly to dogs,

5. rona

rona Guest

I agree with Hazel cocoa bark can be lethal, if you are not sure, keep your pup away.
    Otherwise, my Goldie is always eating rotten wood when we are out for a walk :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice