Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Difficulties in getting Ashka to eat

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by rebeccajackson, Mar 24, 2011.

1. rebeccajackson

rebeccajackson PetForums Member

Hiya as you may know Ashka my sibe had 4 pups last week and they are now 9 days old, they are all doing really well and are putting on weight nicely.

However Ashka their mum is being really picky with her food! She has never been a big eater and has always picked at her food but im worried that shes not getting enough for her needs! I let her have access to food at all times but she picks at it (which is normal for her) I got her some raw meat which she gobbled up last night but this morning wont touch it again! She is hungry as she is eating treats and ham and she probably eats a couple of meals a day of a mix of dry and wet puppy food in total.

I am unsure whether to change her food now slowly, as I dont want to upset her stomach? She is naturally slim and didnt even put much weight on when pregnant, am I just worrying over nothing? lol

Any suggestions for high energy food with small amounts needed would be greatly appreciated! Thanks x

2. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

I would say tripe is high in what she needs, Cara went through similar, turned out she had a touch of mastitis so had gone off her grub, just check her boobies hon to make sure there r no lumps, I was tearing my hair out literally trying 2 find stuff she would eat, then i noticed the lump near her top boob, in the end I went off 2 the butchers and bought lots of good quality meats, she did eat most of it lol, luved the cubed steak, I also added puppy milk to her food as it's very rich, if the pups r putitng on steady weight then no worries, if u find their weight slows or they loose, think about supplementing with a bottle of pup milk to see them through, good luck :)

3. rebeccajackson

Ooh thanks for the advice! I just checked her boobies but no abnormalities so will keep an eye on them just in case :)

I will try her on the raw meat again at lunch and will also try the puppy milk I have! If not a trip to the butchers it is :001_smile: Shes fine in herself, wagging her tail and digging the garden up when she goes for a wee lol

Here are some updated pics of the little fatties hehe:

Attached Files:

4. Those pups are just soooooo cute!

Try not to worry about your girl not eating so much. My girl was the same and now will only eat JW wet puppy food and cooked chicken breast. I supplement with bowls of diluted goat milk about 4 times per day. My pups are gaining weight and their Mum, like your girl, is waggy tailed and bright eyed. When she got picky, I did the normal checks; no signs of mastitis. normal temperature, so just went with the fact that she's being picky.

Your vet may have a high calorie wet food you can give (i got it for one of my lactating Mums once).

XxX

5. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

wow those pups r adorable, nice manageable litter, unlike Cara who had 10 the lil boogas :eek:

6. rebeccajackson

10 :eek: four is plenty enough for me to worry about :)

7. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

Yeah I agree, no wonder I was tearing my hair out when she wouldn't eat, was stressful making sure she and pups were getting enough lol, thankfully everything is fine and she is now back to normal in eating :)

8. rebeccajackson

Good news, I gave her a can of tuna as I know she loves this and then she went on to eat 2 sachets of puppy food! I think shes just trying to give me the run around lol

9. delarhia

delarhia PetForums Newbie

Our girl before she had pups was a great eater in fact we had to watch just how much she did eat, 5 weeks into the pregnancy she got very very fussy, the only thing she would eat was cooked chicken with a little bit of puppy food and some times we had to feed her by hand, it didnt get any better after she had the pups i also found she was not drinking much so the stud dog owner told us to try evaporated milk mixed with water, she loved it and would clear the bowl after about 4 days of this she started to eat more as well dont know if they were connected, now pups are 4 weeks old she still has a small bowl of the evaporated milk usually in the evening and she is back to being a pig with her food

10. rebeccajackson

thanks for the comments! perhaps they are just so busy tending to their puppies they dont care about food hehe

she has been eating a bit more now, she mainly seems to want to eat during the night when she gets me up! But that maybe due to it being cooler?

11. rebeccajackson

Thanks for the tip on goats milk she loves it and seems to have got her appetite going!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice