Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Different ways to exercise your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Biscuit123, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Biscuit123

Biscuit123 PetForums VIP

Hi! I didn't know where else to put this so I hope this is the right spot.

I'd like to know different ways to exercise my dog other then taking her on a walk and playing fetch it's getting kind of boring.

Thanks!

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

What breed do you have ? Lots of doggy sports out there depending on your dog ? Swimming, cycling, running, agility training fly ball simple 10 minute training sessions.

3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

That's a good question . Is your dog finding it boring or just you?
    My dogs don't like fetch , they just like to run around and chase birds or squirrels.
    if you have woods or bushes on your walks , you can play hide and seek .

Picklelily and DaisyBluebell like this.
  4. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

Swimming, flirt pole, canicross, tracking/scentwork, trick/impulse controk training games, agility, tug...
    Find different places you've not been before to walk and explore?

Cleo38, LinznMilly and Picklelily like this.
  5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

If they like playing fetch then instead of throwing the ball hide it for them.
    Start really easy
    Using their nose to sniff out the ball will tire their mind as well as their body

Picklelily and DaisyBluebell like this.
  6. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

How can walking a dog be boring? I love watching my dogs round around, playing, jumping over ditches and interacting with other dogs and people.

I try different walks, sometimes by the canal, or in woods or fields or in my local park. I am lucky that I live on the edge of countryside, but I can never say any of my dog walks are boring. Sometimes I take a ball, other times we do training and other days we just relax and have fun in the sun.

Boxer123 likes this.
  7. SinneJ

SinneJ PetForums Member

This! And when I have a bad day, I start out with headphones on to get myself out the door, but usually, as soon as I get into nature, I take them off anyway, because it's very calming to hear everything around you :)

If you really get bored, you could try audiobooks or something, that's what I used to do when running on a treadmill (I have bad ankles, so roads are not an option).

Anyway, that's only good advice if it's you that is bored and not the dogs.

Picklelily likes this.
  8. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Just 5 mins training things then walk a while, then 5 mins training i.e. sits, stands, downs, stays, comes, etc etc brain things tire then out as good as a run in the park

Picklelily likes this.
  9. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome. Dogs generally need to go out for walks as it engages their brains - the different smells, reading pee mail, things to see as well as exercise.

Is your dog getting bored or are you getting g bored ?

Mixing up the walk, exploring new places or, if you drive, going further a field will make it more interesting for both of you.

I used to enjoy doing a form of parkour with the dog I walked. We would use structures on the walk, like trees, benches, tree stumps posts etc and get the dig to interact with them. Eg paws up on the trunk, crawl under the bench, weave round the poles, balance on logs. You can be really creative.

Another fun game is search games. Hide a toy and get your dog to search for it. Start nice and easy and make it harder as he gets the idea. This works inside and out.

How about trying some dog sports like agility, treibball, rally-o or doing some trick training - we have a good trick training thread you may like to join.

Picklelily likes this.
  10. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I have sympathy because my dog's favourite walk is dead boring, she loves it because 95% of people walk their dog in this particular field so there are lots of good smells plus there are several benches which she likes to encourage me to sit on because I will then throw the ball for her. The street walks that we do on the way to the field are close to my house so again nothing interesting for me but she loves it as there is a patch of land behind the houses where I walk on the footpath and she runs on the grassland behind the hedge then appears at the other end of the path grinning away.

So, how do I brighten this walk up well I only do this walk twice a week on other days we do walks we can both find interesting.

Whilst on the boring walk I watch my dog's body language and interpret what she is thinking, we practice tricks and obedience at random intervals along the way (I carry the clix treat bag on my belt for rewards). I throw out kibble and tell her to find it as its quite fun watching your dog hunt in the grass; obviously only do this when no other dogs are in the area.
    Obedience tricks we practice
    1. loose lead walk
    2. heel
    3. sit
    4. down
    5. wait
    6. stay variations or combinations of the above
    7. Spin (turn full circle clockwise)
    8. Twist (turn full circle anti-clockwise
    9. Speak
    10. stick em up followed by bang your dead
    11. hand touch at different angles and heights
    12. high five
    13. wave
    14. weave in and out of my legs
    15. clop clop (standing on my feet whilst I move)
    16. give paw then give me the other paw

There are probably a few more but it gives you an idea of what can be done

On at least one day a week we skip walking and go out into the garden to play with the flirt pole and then come indoors to use Nina Ottosson toys.

I saw @BlueJay had made a fantastic interactive toy with plastic bottles so I'm planning on trying that

Finally every Friday and sometimes on Sundays, we go geocaching whilst walking the dog https://www.geocaching.com/play/search

Oh don't forget doing some trick training and obedience at home

Biscuit123, tabelmabel and Sarah H like this.
  11. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Pickle trying to persuade me that I need a nice sit down so that I can throw her the ball

IMG_20180612_125539092_HDR.jpg

12. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Dillon only street walks now as we have got rid of the car (don't really need it now) so we play hide and seek with his toys, throw and fetch only at 8 years old he still doesn't understand he has to give the toy back before we can throw it again. Lots of sits, down, stand and stay games. He seems happy enough and that's the main thing.

LinznMilly, Sarah H and Picklelily like this.
  13. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

My lot never tire of running free in the nature reserve.

14. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I suppose it depends where you walk! Do you have a car? That your dog will travel in? That makes a huge difference because you can rotate a good 10 or 15 locations and find new places.
    I am very lucky where i am located in Scotland as we have woods, beach, parks country and town all within a half hour drive.

Before i had tilly, woods were my absolute favourite place to walk. Not on any boring pre made paths, i liked to go deep off the beaten track. However, woods have become a bit stressful with tilly as she is a hunter and is prone to bogging off in them.

So - i had her in the woods this morning. She was brilliant but i have to make myself very interesting for her to keep her near which i do with little training exercises and retrieves. And a bag of warm roast beef! Boring it definitely isn't!

What kind of dog have you got? You know, i would not recommend a tibetan terrier to many people but you might be just the person - if you want a dog that is fun, random, active and prone to making a total fool of you - get yourself a tibetan! You'll forget what boring ever was, i can promise you that!

Biscuit123 and Picklelily like this.
  15. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I wonder if the nature the reserve was created to protect feel so enthusiastic about dogs running around.

16. Biscuit123

Biscuit123 PetForums VIP

Wow thanks everyone. I'm not completely sure of my dogs breed the people I got her from said her mother was a golden retriever and her dad was unknown. I'm signing her up for agility classes next week as she loves to go fast. I'm hoping soon I'll be able to take her to the beach which is only an hour drive. She enjoys the water and loves to swim. This morning I took her to a national forest and we both had lots of fun. Again thank you for all the great tips.

Picklelily, SinneJ and tabelmabel like this.
  17. foxiesummer

It was originally created centuries ago for people to collect peat for their fires.When I was a kid it was just the woods. No footpaths etc and allowed to grow wild. It is surrounded by a trading estate, (used to be an RAF camp including an aerodrome), Asda is next to it also Eddie Stobart, It has now got three roads, one a bypass, and a cycle track through it. It was only called a nature reserve after an estate of posh houses were built next to it. The council put paths and bridges in and tidied it up and continue to maintain it. Those in these houses are still complaining about the trees and noise from the dawn chorus and I'm sure they would like it gone. There are acres of land which are inaccessible by foot. The middle is taken up with farm land, at the mo there are sheep grazing so we keep well clear of there.Just this morning I saw three deer and a fox. There is a pond with a conservation order on it as it has natter-jack toads in it. Since the RAF base closed the council has acquired a lot more land including a massive pond. There are developers who would like to get their mitts on it,

Picklelily likes this.
  18. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Is that near Southport?

19. foxiesummer

No, further north.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice