Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Different Vitamins In Different Foods

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by BumbleFluff, Nov 6, 2012.

1. BumbleFluff

BumbleFluff PetForums VIP

EDITED thanks to Muse's post below, this thread is now up to date

Vitamins and Minerals Present in the Components of a Raw Diet
    Nutrient/Vitamin/Mineral Present in:
    Vitamin A (Retinol) chicken, pork, egg, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardines, liver, kidney, brain, tuna
    Vitamin B1 (Thiamin): liver, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): liver, heart, kidney, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Vitamin B3 (Niacin): rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine, tuna
    Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid): liver, heart, kidney, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine): liver, heart, kidney, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Vitamin B9 (Folic Acid): liver, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Vitamin B12 (cobalt/choline): liver, heart, kidney, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Vitamin C: liver, kidney, heart, fish
    Vitamin D: egg, sardine, liver, kidney, salmon, tuna
    Vitamin E: ostrich, buffalo, egg, halibut, haddock, sardine, kidney, liver, brain
    Vitamin K egg, halibut, haddock, sardine, liver
    Calcium rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Chlorine egg, salmon, tuna
    Copper chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Iodine salmon, haddock, seafood, egg
    Iron: rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Magnesium rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Manganese rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, haddock, halibut, sardine
    Phosphorus rabbit, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Potassium rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Selenium rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Zinc rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

#1 BumbleFluff, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
    Skandi likes this.
  2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

It might have been better if you had posted a) items which are safe for dogs to eat and b) what raw feeders eat rather than copying and pasting a list which contains many toxic items, and many of those which do not fit into a raw food profile. ;)

3. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

I was looking for something like this a few weeks ago. :thumbup1:

4. BumbleFluff

Sorry i didnt think about that, i will go through and see what i can pick out

ETA is that any better smokeybear? Please tell me anything ive missed, your help is appreciated :)

#4 BumbleFluff, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  5. Dumples

Dumples PetForums Junior

I would also suggest to friends and family when debating this, how do they know your dog is getting the right vitamins etc when they buy processed foods. It might state on the bag/tin what vitamins etc are in the food, but doesn't always show the quantities, and the food is cooked - as we all know, when you cook food, it loses it's nutritional value (in most cases anyway).

I'm new to this raw feeding, but I already see a difference in my dog. I think she now has a much healthier diet than me and OH;)

6. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

All "complete" pet food has to fulfill the nutritional requirements set out in a nutrient profile.

Nutrition | FEDIAF

The americans have their own version although haven't done a step by step comparison, they may be identical.

My main problem with a list such as the one provided in the original post is that it gives a false impression, certainly when it comes to vegetable matter. Give a dog a raw carrot and in my opinion, they are not going to extract all the nutrients from that carrot, in fact very little.

There are many sites which can also be used if you want to check specific information for nutrients. Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com can be interesting (simply type something like raw liver into the search) as can NDL/FNIC Food Composition Database Home Page None are only useful to give an idea. Bone for example is normally treated as waste, not part of the calculation.

7. whitefire

whitefire PetForums Member

i dont feed vegetables or plant based products because i feed prey model / raw not a barf diet or pre made mince wet/raw diet. i also dont feed raw egg because it gives my dog the runs. having said that looking at the sources of vitamin a that would leave 'fish'. you neglected to mention that this needs to be oily fish and liver is a great source of vitamin a.

this is just me but i would be very careful in placing a post like this on an open forum for 'new' / inexperienced raw feeders to read if every aspect has not been researched.

8. BumbleFluff

I was only posting this thread for people who were curious about what vitamins were found in what foods. I know alot of people, like myself, have no idea what vitamin comes from what, and i found this information interesting to read.

9. whitefire

whitefire PetForums Member

i fully understand your reasons for posting but A) You started your thread with "Time and time again i have the debate with family and friends over raw vs commercial" - indicates food for animals and 2) You ended your post with "I am not telling people what to feed their animals, im simply posting this for people who are curious about what vitamins come from what foods!" - which again indicates that you are aiming this at the raw feeder market.

the problem i have here is that there are items on this list which should never be given to a dog / animals as they are toxic, and secondly, your list has not been fully researched as you have omitted sources of vitamins from the list. your list also neglects to mention any animal like duck, rabbit, goat, venison, squirrel etc. your list is incomplete and frankly sends a wrong message to new / inexperienced raw feeders.

in conclusion, if you feed a species appropriate diet with loads of variety tolerated by your animal then you need not worry about 'is my dog getting a balanced diet'.

the question to ask yourself is 'Have I ever seen a wild dog / primarily carnivorous animal climb an apple tree to enjoy a ripe green apple as a staple part of its diet?'

10. muse08

muse08 PetForums Member

Vitamins and Minerals Present in the Components of a Raw Diet
    Nutrient/Vitamin/Mineral Present in:
    Vitamin A (Retinol) chicken, pork, egg, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardines, liver, kidney, brain, tuna
    Vitamin B1 (Thiamin): liver, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): liver, heart, kidney, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Vitamin B3 (Niacin): rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine, tuna
    Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid): liver, heart, kidney, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine): liver, heart, kidney, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Vitamin B9 (Folic Acid): liver, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Vitamin B12 (cobalt/choline): liver, heart, kidney, rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Vitamin C: liver, kidney, heart, fish
    Vitamin D: egg, sardine, liver, kidney, salmon, tuna
    Vitamin E: ostrich, buffalo, egg, halibut, haddock, sardine, kidney, liver, brain
    Vitamin K egg, halibut, haddock, sardine, liver
    Calcium rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Chlorine egg, salmon, tuna
    Copper chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Iodine salmon, haddock, seafood, egg
    Iron: rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Magnesium rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Manganese rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, haddock, halibut, sardine
    Phosphorus rabbit, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Potassium rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Selenium rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine
    Zinc rabbit, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, goat, ostrich, buffalo, egg, beef, salmon, halibut, haddock, sardine

11. BumbleFluff

Now THIS is perfect, thank you!

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

That's more like it!
    In the original list, the sources for vitamin A was quite misleading
    "Vitamin A (Fat soluble): carrots, raw & juiced, leaf lettuce, sweet potatoes, liver, tuna, turnip, oily fish & eggs"
    Carrots and the the other veg don't contain vitamin A at all, but Beta Carotene which the human body converts to vitamin A as required. As dogs are carnivores, and would normally eat the liver of their prey, and liver is a very good source of vit A, I can see no reason that dogs would have evolved the ability to convert beta carotene to vit A. I'm not saying they can't do it, just that in evolutionary terms it would serve no purpose, and I know of no evidence that they can do this conversion.
    In humans, vit A is toxic in large anounts and should not be taken at all as a supplement by pregnant women - it can cause skull deformities in the baby. Large amounts of cod liver oil and liver should also be avoided for the same reason - but you can eat any amount of carrots as any of the beta carotene NOT required for conversion to vit A is excreted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice