Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Different energy requirements in the same family.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bex190, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Following on from the number of dog walks thread, I noticed that there are a few people who do multiple walks a day due to their dogs different energy levels.

Otto my Vizsla would happily run and play all day but Alfie my Lurcher is ready to go home after 20 mins of running and has a lie down in the field then trots along next to me for the rest of the walk while Otto bombs about.

This works fine at the moment but I suspect that Alfie will get less enthusiastic to do long walks as he gets older while Otto's energy levels will stay high for a lot longer which could be an issue as neither dog would take well to being left at home while the other was walked.

How do you guys cope with this sort of problem?

2. pinklady

pinklady PetForums Member

My Akitas are very lazy, i get asked if they take lots of walking and people are amazed when i say they are very laid back and lazy. They go for 3 walks a day for about 1 hour each time. They played with a Greyhouse x staff last night ( would never of known he was a cross apart from his colouring) after 15 mins of trying to chase him they both lay down and the owners of the greyhound thought it was funny!!! they couldnt believe that Akitas would get shattered so easily and could also play nicely with a strange dog too :D

3. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Makita is the same, his natural gait is a trot, nothing faster :)He is always the one to stop playing and Millie pesters him.

There is alot of dog to move around with Akita's though i guess :) Must be a hard life having such huge giant paws to cart around everywhere :D

I love how we dont think they take a huge amount of walking (3 hours a day) but I guessing to some people this may sound like a horrendous amount of time :D

4. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Our JRT doesn't like as much exercise as my Springer or Terrier x, so I make her have 1 walk a day, and talk her in to the 2nd if I can but if not she stays home:D

5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I walk my three twice a day, two of which are now elderly. I throw a ball for the youngster but with the two oldies I 'pretend' throw theirs ie into their mouths or about 2 ft in front of them. They all seem happy with this arrangement.

6. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Hehe that's funny, my Lurcher is a Greyhound x Staffi and he's the one that doesn't have much stamina out of my two!

That sounds like what I'll end up doing, Alfie hates being away from Otto but he just can't keep up with him after the first few laps of the field!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice