Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Different breed than what you're used to?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sharloid, Feb 19, 2015.

1. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

We're considering a fourth dog some time in the future, but undecided whether it would be another husky. One of the main things for us to consider is if we want a breed that will be happy to run in a recreational mushing team. If so, our options are limited. If not then my criteria is that it doesn't need any more exercise than the sibes and doesn't stink. :p

I don't know anyone with a breed of dog I could see myself owning, so can't just try it out and see if I like it.

I'm just wondering how people who have had several dogs of the same breed felt once they got a different breed? What made you decide that? Did you go for something completely different? Did you regret it?

And so it's not a wall of text, here's a recent picture. :)

[​IMG]

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I don't know what a recreational mushing team is soooo....why not get something that can run but isn't a Husky? aren't Alaskan Huskies crossed with all sorts (pointers, collies etc) to try and get a dog with great stamina/endurance? then you can have a sledding dog AND and off lead dog. :D

3. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

If we want another dog to run in team that isn't a husky then the choices are some kind of freight dog (Alaskan Malamute, Canadian Eskimo Dog etc) or something houndy (Pointers, Eurohounds, Greysters etc). The problem with the latter is that they stink. I don't know if I could cope with one in the house. :eek:

We'll be having a more indepth look at breeds that are right for us, but for now I'm wondering how people have made the adjustment. I don't know how I'd fare with an off lead dog for example, it's not something I've ever experienced!

4. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I think the eurohounds you've met (and I've met) have either been living outside or are fed crap diets.. I doubt they'd smell on a proper diet... :p

I have breeds I'm not used too whenever I dog sit :p

I'd go for another husky or something similar - then you don't have an odd one out..

5. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Sounds as though you're destined for another Husky :tongue_smilie:

I don't know if I would stick to the same breed, I know what breed of dog I want next, so who knows, I could fall for the breed so much that my third dog would be the same breed again.

But for now I am at the frame of mind that there are several breeds I'd love to have so I wouldn't stick to the same breed - needless to say doesn't mean I wouldn't have the same breed again years down the line.

#5 Hanwombat, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  6. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Lurcher :yesnod:

Frodo is greyhound x collie, he smells of NUFFINK
    and he can run!
    Offlead!

7. Hanwombat

Are Lurchers okay with small furries / cats if they grow up with them for a young age?

I would actually consider a lurcher in the future. I wouldn't have any small animals by then but I'd still have my cat.

8. Mrsred

Mrsred PetForums VIP

I'm of absolutely no use to you about the running side of things but do know what it's like living with different breeds.

I've a lab, a springer x collie and a whippet, lab and the springy boy are quite alike in some ways, enjoy the same kinds of walks and play, equal in stamina and eager to learn.

However, springy boys impulse control leaves something to be desired, not just as biddable as miss lab and certainly has a nervousness that means I wouldn't put him in certain situations that the lab is grand in. Whilst both greedy pigs, the springer x collie wouldn't be as distracted by food as the lab, both can be off lead and easily enough controlled with a flash of a ball or a treat.

The whippet is an entirely different kettle of fish!

Now, he is still only a pup pup so things may change, he can be allowed off lead but only in a far more controlled environment. For instance, he will happily trot along with my husband onlead whilst the other are crashing about through the local glen and then he is allowed off in an enclosed football pitch and he still will majoritively stick to your heel with an occasional bout of EXTREMELY fast running.

Muck and dirt are not for him, he lacks the desire to please the other two have, he will do things you have trained for himself ie 'what am I gonna get for this?' And a 'down', something the other two picked up immediately evades him, he's not putting his tummy on something as ridiculous as a floor, thank you very much.

He is also an inveterate thief, pogoing and jumping up, counter surfing and scavenging, things the other two wouldn't dream off.

It's different for us as we don't do group things with the dogs like you do so the differences aren't particularly difficult to deal with at all but it is funny to live with!

#8 Mrsred, Feb 19, 2015
  9. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Lots of lurcher people have cats no bother :)
    A cat running out in the world might be a different story though :eek:

10. Hanwombat

Cool! I was never a fan of pointy breeds BUT Lurchers have grown on me. We were watching Paul O Grady last night at Battersea and even my boyfriend likes the look of Lurchers - so certainly a possiblity for the future :D

11. toffee44

toffee44 PetForums VIP

I know of a husky, lurcher, collie thing. Runs very well on the bike problem is only has two speeds sleep and bolt......

I was going to say euro hound OR join the GSP massive....

12. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

As you get to know some different breeds/types you'll probably discover traits that appeal.or you dislike, however with you being involved with rescues I suspect when you have a space to fill one will just end up on your sofa :D

I have an odd one out at the moment with our foster Terry which is a mastiff x staffy gingermutt. I have 2 greyhounds & a lurcher whose a staffy x so some bully traits we've become used to but otherwise its been a bit of a change. Its nice to have dog with different attitude to training, longer term it would be harder to manage 3 on lead and one off as know it will frustrate the others. I didn't expect to have him more than a few weeks otherwise I may have chosen type to foster differently.

#12 2Hounds, Feb 19, 2015
  13. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

That's partly a reason why I'm looking at other gundogs rather than going straight for a GSP.. :eek:

14. Born to Boogie

Born to Boogie PetForums VIP

Samoyed?
    Not as determined, or as fast as Huskies but will have a go. I have friends with Sam/Husky and Sam/Mal teams.
    Dan, RBIS at Crufts, last year, works in harness. Sue has Samis and Malamutes.

15. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

Foxhound :)

Has the stamina to keep up with the Huskies speed and endurance wise.

Also not always reliable offlead.

Perfect.:)

16. Paula07

Paula07 PetForums VIP

Second this. Nicky is a Lurcher (greyhound x lab), he doesn't smell and at 9 year old can still go for miles.

Nicky has lived with 3 cats in the time iv had him. He now only lives with two. He wasn't introduced to cats until he was about 5-6 and he's absolutely fine :).

17. caju

caju PetForums Senior

Sight hounds :D

18. caju

caju PetForums Senior

I think people are kind of missing the point of OP's post. I think that rather than breed suggestions, she/he is interested in knowing what led people to choosing a different breed, if they usually have a specific breed?

OP, I don't have multiple dogs but I did switch from a lifetime of German and Belgian shepherds to an RR, and plan to get a Whippet in the next year or two, and my reasoning is just that I love so many different breeds, and learning about their personalities and differences, that I want to have them all!

If that's not the case with you, and there's no other breed you love, then I can't really see why you shouldn't just get another husky.

19. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

I have 2 scenthounds and brought in a mongrel Collie type thing,Bodhi :eek:

I didn't actually choose her,she just sort of stayed after I was looking after her for someone.

She can keep up with the boys,is 100 % better than them offlead,she's a lot easier to train.

She's a great dog,just not one I would have chosen for myself,but that was more on looks than anything else.I prefer short haired dogs.

Growing up we always had different breeds together so I never gave it much thought. :eek:

[​IMG]

20. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

You're right that I was asking for experiences, though breed recommendations won't hurt. :)

There are lots of other breeds I like (though haven't done enough research to know if they tick all the boxes). I just don't want to end up regretting it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice