Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Different brands of food - ok to rotate?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by nurseberyl, Jul 30, 2009.

1. nurseberyl

nurseberyl PetForums Member

Hi all, I have a few trial packs of food, and I also have some Hills dry and JWB dry, and whiskers pouches, Im trying to get Mario off the whiskers wet and on to just dry, hes 11 weeks. Is it ok to mix and match like that, I have always been told to indroduce new food slowly, but some days he has hills and some days he has JWB and another day he will have some whiskers dry that im trying to use up! and he has some wet food everyday but i want him off that but he does love it :/ What i trying to do is use up all the packets I have..

This is just a rambling mess lol. What im saying is, it ok to give him Hills, but when JWB is on 3 for 2 offer to switch to that? and so on. Im trying to save money and want to go for whats on offer!

Hes not had a tummy upset yet...

2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I think it's good! My cat's breeder strongly recommended changing diets regularly.

What I have taken to doing is buying a cereal storage box & pouring small contents of various dry food brands so they get a selection in each bowl. I also change between about three or four wet food brands too.

3. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Hi! I think it depends on your cat. I've got 5 & they happily switch between dry foods with no problems, but some cats do get upset tums if switched without "phasing" the new food in. A friend of mine has different dry foods out all the time as some of her cats prefer different foods. I think upset tums is more likely to happen with wet food, usually if it is too rich. Personally, I think your cat is a bit young to be switching to a completely dry diet - most kittens prefer wet food & it's easier for them to eat & softer to their palate. Mine switched to dry food of their own accord when they were between 4 - 6 months old. I'd continue to feed them wet but have some kitten biscuits down to so they can graze on them if they want to. That's just my view though :)

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Mine get loads of different types of wet food (all 50%+ meat) - stops them getting bored.

5. nurseberyl

nurseberyl PetForums Member

thanks, I wasnt sure if he was too young for completely dry yet or not. it is my goal to get him to eat just dry eventually, Ill just take it slow. I just hate that whiskers stuff, when thats used up Ill have to get something better.

6. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

I wouldnt feed an all dry diet, and if he likes the wet, I'd continue giving it to him, its much better for cats to have wet food - it has the moisture they need. An all dry diet is dehydrating, and even though cats will still drink a lot of water when eating only dry, its never enough to compensate for the lack of moisture in dry. Also, most dry foods are full of carbohydrates which cats don't need in their diet, although dry foods like the new Applaws and Orijen are low carb and much higher meat content than Hills or JWB, and certainly higher than Whiskas dry.

I do think its good to offer variety though - but I'd always opt for wet over dry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice