Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Differences in cat registry bodies

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Rufus15, Jan 15, 2018.

1. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

OK, I'll leave it for now.

@Rufus15 give one of the mods a shout when you want it stickied :)

lymorelynn and Rufus15 like this.
  2. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

She stated it was an HCM negative cattery and that all the cats and kittens were HCM negative.

3. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

My original idea was to provide comparisons of registries available in the UK for those looking for information when thinking about acquiring kittens, not only those interested in breeding. The former tend to end up in Cat Chat so I think this is why @Rufus15 put it here.

Torin. and simplysardonic like this.
  4. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

I thought it would be better in Cat Chat as I think many people bypass Breeding thinking it's only a section for breeding. Whilst it would tidier in Breeding, the section doesn't get as much traffic so the thread could be very easily missed.

QOTN likes this.
  5. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

I think it would be important if we could all agree on what points to put in this thread, so we can each then start adding to the thread in a relevant way. What differences are we highlighting if it's for the purposes of educating new kitten owners?

For me it would be:
    • Registration cost
    • Breeds available (with a small list of relevant tests)
    • Links to club lists
    • Links to show calendars and a brief overview of show set up (I think many owners think showing is just for breeders and encouraging folk to go to shows would do no harm)
    I can't think of anything else at the moment, I expect you all will have more ideas.

6. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I think it is a good idea to show what all the registries actually require from those who register kittens with them because it seems to vary considerably. They all fall short of what most of us would like to see. Of course this may be different when people who are members contribute because the TICA and FIFe websites don't give much relevant information and the CFA seems even more vague.

We may be able to show that a registered kitten is only a guarantee of a limited number of things.

I think that FIFe is the same as GCCF in that the clubs are members not individuals. I think TICA has individual members but so far I cannot find the CFA setup.

7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Age kittens can be rehomed at. What must be provided with them. The basic things.

QOTN likes this.
  8. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

I think those are all excellent ideas, perhaps we could assign a registry to one or two users so there's focus and direction, instead of us all chipping in small bits and it becomes confusing

9. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

I have updated the first post with GCCF info. It's taken a few hours in between sorting out my small humans, so I'll get TICA, FIFe, and CFA done gradually throughout the week. GCCF has been the easiest as it's the registry I know, the others may take a little longer so you will all need to bear with me. If I've missed anything you feel is important, or something could be clarified or explained better, let me know and I'll try and rejig.

10. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

Do other breed registries use breed numbers like GCCF? Are they the same? I don't think putting all the numbers in is essential just wondered if an example would be good?

I know GCCF has things like reference, experimental and supplementary register. Is this the same as other registries?

11. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I think that details of each registry should be done by someone who actually knows and understands that registry i.e. is a direct user. There has already been some misinformation posted.

@Psygon FIFE also uses EMS but GCCF being GCCF they use it in a slightly different way from FIFE. TICA do not use breed/colour numbers. Not sure about CFA.

12. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

@Tigermoon it would be helpful to know where incorrect information has been given, for example is there incorrect information in the first page post? If so, please identify where and provide the correct information so I can edit accordingly.

13. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

@simplysardonic I'm continuing to update the first post but can it be made into a sticky please so I can find it easily? I'm continually making edits so it's not completely finished, but I'm hoping to complete it before Saturday.

14. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

The more I investigate the registries, the harder it seems to discover general information. To give one example the only compulsory DNA tests I can see in FIFe are GM in Burmese and Korat and Glycogen Storage disease In Norwegian Forest cats. Does this mean that there is no requirement for testing Persians for PKD?

15. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

One would assume not if there's no information about it. I think testing is difficult as many tests are recommended as opposed to compulsory. There is compulsory testing in one breed in GCCF, I can't remember which one it is now.

16. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Stickied for you :)

Rufus15 likes this.
  17. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Thank you so much :)

simplysardonic likes this.
  18. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

There is compulsory testing in quite a few breeds in GCCF but affected and carrier cats just go on the genetic register and can still be bred.

Asians have compulsory testing for hypokalaemic polymyopathy and no risky matings are allowed since this month, January 2018.

All GCCF white cats must be tested clear of deafness before being used for breeding but there is still a risk they can produce deaf kittens.

Tigermoon likes this.
  19. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Asians, that was the one I was thinking of and couldn't remember.

The same rule is true under TICA for white cats too, proof of hearing must be sent to TICA before a kitten can go onto the Active Register. There's an organisation (university maybe?) in Derby that tests deafness for free as part of their research into deafness in white cats. Quite a way to go for some but handy if you're fairly local.

20. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums Senior

PKD testing is mandatory unless negative by inheritance in Persians and Exotics. The document in the top links to an old version of the FIFe B&R rules

#40 lillytheunicorn, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice