Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

DIET TROUBLE

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Wild With Roxi, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi PetForums Senior

Diet Advice & Thoughts Appreciated!
    Hiya Everyone! I've been struggling with my Bichon, Mylo's food for a couple months now. Over the Years I've been through most foods, bad and good, that I can get a hold of. This year He has been on Burns, Royal Canin, Wagg, and Benevo. I really want to find the right diet for him, but he doesn't seem to enjoy any of the foods He's been on :( I want him to enjoy his meals, and be healthy and happy too. At the moment I'm considering The Raw Diet for him, but I'm also considering moving him back onto a Vegan Formula.

*Don't freak out just yet, give me a chance to explain*

I know Wolves naturally eat meat as well as some plants, meaning dogs are omnivores, but Mylo has severe allergies to a lot of meats except some Brands of Food with chicken. He has skin issues and an almost constant ear infection that our vets can't seem to fix, he's always on medication and this that and the other, so I thought I'd try the Vegan food for him, of course he is also a picky eater and hates raw veg, and he won't eat any fruit unless its concealed well either..He does like Nuts and seeds occasionally though lol, But anyway I tried a mix of wet and dry vegan food and he actually liked it..A lot. I'm thinking it may be sweeter or something? He showed his best ever feeding response to the wet food, and a moderate feeding response to the dry. Which is Ok! So my thoughts are..Would a mix of the vegan Food, Benevo and the Raw Foods be a good idea? I'm really stumped, but I think he'll enjoy that mix?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated :p

2. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

Have you tried him with fish?
    What about https://www.viovet.co.uk/Autarky-Adult-Grain-Free-Food/c36563/
    It's reasonably priced, and I'm probably being biased because I've been feeding it to my dogs recently, but I've been really impressed with it.
    Or what about a good quality wet food? Sounds like it was probably the texture he enjoyed, more than it being a vegan food.

I wouldn't feed any of the brands you listed if I had a dog with food issues.

3. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

How often are you swapping food? That's a lot of different ones to try over a fairly short period, do you slowly swap or just change from one brand to another? I feed mine on Canagan which suits them well and they eat it and enjoy it.

4. Wild With Roxi

It wouldn't be to often, I don't have a set time either, just when I notice something bad after a couple bags or something...And Yeah I always change over a few weeks. :)

5. Wild With Roxi

I have tried fish before. but that was about 3 years ago so I don't remember too well how it went haha.
    i might try that food in a couple weeks-months if i don't try raw or wet! The wet food is a great idea, he sometimes gets wet food as a treat!

I think I might try Raw, as he does like cooked foods; rice, pasta, meats, fish, poultry, veg... So he might just like it! I've been researching it the last few weeks heavily :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice