Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diet help

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Engel98, May 11, 2020.

1. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

Hi guys hope you are safe and well.

I'm looking for a bit of advice really.

I've been gluten-free and dairy free for 2 years now due to intolerance. It's been pretty easy to be honest.

Now I'm cutting out meat. I don't like it, don't like the taste of it and when I eat it all I think about is what the animal endured during its life in order to be put on my plate. So I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm going vegan. 10 years ago you wouldn't of heard those words come out my mouth.

I know it's not for everyone, and that's ok. I hope there's no negative response to this (I've been suppressed and had negativity thrown at me all my life so I'm tired of it).

I've been tracking what I've been eating for the past couple of days. Vitamins and minerals that is, not calories. I've noticed that a few b vitamins are pretty low so have got bit tablets to help me out (as a short term back up until I get the hang of things). Also, my protein is low. Kinda cliché isn't it. I'm guessing as I'm new to this that's to be expected.

Now how to up my protein?

Can't have anything with wheat/barley/rye (gluten). Oats are ok providing that they're pure oats and don't have it every day.

I can't stand pasta, cheeses ( vegan ones too), tofu. Most nuts and seeds.

However fruits and veggies are a total go, always loved 'em.

Now I was thinking a way to help this could be vegan protein powder (pea protein blend) and make a smoothie with various fruits and veggies and add some seeds in the blender to mask the awful taste?

I'm not very good with meals and only have 2 meals a day so really can't be eating another meal as I'm not hungry?

I drink soya milk and have soya yogurts with cultures in them.

Any thoughts? Protein powder advice? Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Avocados, beans, lentils.

Engel98, LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I used to not like tofu but the Tofoo brand has converted me.

I dry it thoroughly in kitchen roll to squeeze out the moisture, chop into chunks, dust in seasoned cornflour and fry in a little sprayed oil to crisp up before adding to a stir fry.

I’d say it’s an acquired taste but worth pursuing as it’s an easy source of protein ;)

There is a Sticky Thread in General on plant based eating with lots of ideas.

#3 Lurcherlad, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Summercat, Engel98 and LinznMilly like this.
  4. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Beans and lentils for protein ? I am a failed vegan (cheese and chocolate may my beating heart be still) but try and eat as much plant based as possible. There is a good sticky looking at plant based foods. It’s a bit tricky not liking seeds and nuts can you try and add something new to your diet each week maybe?

Engel98 likes this.
  5. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

Is the taste or texture anything like cheese? If it is then it'll be difficult for me...I really hate cheese, can't even touch it as it makes my skin crawl

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

You can def get plenty of protein from beans, lentils and peas and TBH protein deficiency isnt really a thing in most developed countries. You dont need that much and can pretty much get it from fruits and veggies.
    If I were you Id be more concerned about fat intake if you cant stand nuts and seeds as it just leaves avocados for healthy fats.

You wont get any judgement on this forum though as we are all pet lovers and quite a few of us are vegan too!;)

O2.0, Engel98 and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

I was going to mix some chia, flax and a few seeds in a blender so it's like a powder then mixing it with fruits to make a smoothie? Don't know if it will work through.

Also heard that avacado can be used like butter in baking? Is that true? Can I put it in cake? A vegan choco cake? Can I do that?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

If you're eating enough calories, you're getting enough protein.
    A lot of those tracking apps are not entirely accurate.

The whole protein thing is really not that big of a deal. Just eat food, you'll get your protein.
    Long time vegetarian here, (close to 40 years now) and have been vegan-ish for 4? years. I don't actively try to get protein in my diet, just eat a well-balanced diet and you'll be fine.
    I do supplement vitamin b-12 (as most people should, vegan or not) and I think in the UK it's advisable to get your vitamin D levels checked and supplement there as needed.

An easy guide is G-BOMBS - Greens, Beans, Onions (or garlic, leeks, etc.), Mushrooms, Berries, Seeds. Try to get some of these every day and you should get all you need from your food.

What that might look like:
    Breakfast, oatmeal with berries and ground flax or chia seed. Or skip the oatmeal and have a fruit smoothie with greens, berries and ground seeds of choice.
    Lunch: sauteed veggies with mushrooms and onions in a wrap with hummus. Or over a bowl of beans and rice.
    There, two meals and you already have all your G-BOMBS :)
    Granted, that's no where near enough calories, so maybe add some nut butters to your smoothie (you probably won't taste it in there), stuff like that.

There is a great thread in general you may want to peruse:
    https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...ome-new-ideas.450190/page-182#post-1065610421

Engel98 and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

Was going to use this to help boost my intake. Even when eating meat I hardly eat enough. So this will hopefully give me a nutrients boost
    Screenshot_20200511-123248~2.png

10. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I'm not a medical professional of any sort. Just a longtime vegetarian/vegan.
    In my non professional opinion the protein thing is overrated possibly to the point of detriment. Unless you're starving in a developing country, or have a serious medical issue like being tube fed, no one is protein deficient.
    And too much protein is potentially more damaging to your health overall. Great book if you're interested "Proteinaholic" by Dr. Garth Davis.

If you're going to supplement, supplement with nutrients but don't focus on the protein. Protein powders - even vegan, gluten free varieties are still highly processed semi-foods in that it's just one part of the food being extracted. Humans were never meant to eat that way. Ideally you want the whole food variety.
    There are great whole food supplements - basically dried/ground real food that are less processed and better for you overall than a protein powder. I do make smoothies with powdered wheat grass and greens for that extra boost.

Look at nutrient dense foods, not macronutrients like protein/carbs/fats. The latter really do tend to take care of themselves if you eat real food :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Test

Ignore - wasn’t able to post in this thread for a while .... Gremlin seems to have vanished ;)

Engel98 likes this.
  12. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

Went shopping yesterday and got a few different things to try. Shops were manic and found myself tasting blood when I left as people are stupid. Ugh.

Herby bangers in Tesco frozen section. Plant chef I believe. Beautiful, bloody gorgeous. Had them last night with spuds, veg and gravy. Only 6 in a box for £1.70 I think which is cheap for me as gluten-free ones are normally double the price. Highly recommend them so much so I bought a second box today ( went shopping for my elderly grandmother why she didn't say anything yesterday I don't know).

Also got a linseed mix out of Aldi. It's got flax, sunflower and pumpkin seed all ground up into a *almost* powder. Also some chia seeds. Was thinking I can mix it into my yogurts and smoothies, also got some vegan curries to try too

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice