UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lily is on a diet of Orijen biscuit - which she has access to 24/7 - and I give her a small (70g) tin of Applaws for dinner.

Having just found out this isn't a 'complete' food, I'm wondering if this diet is ok considering her main food source is Orijen.

I know she needs a high protein diet, but she started turning her nose up at [email protected] tins and we just landed on this and it seems to be working well for us. She is a house cat.....

I could use some advice/reassurance.... :eek:

·
Administrator
35,983 Posts
Sorry - meant to reply to this earlier but have been having internet problems due to a thunderstorm :eek:
I would give the zooplus diet a try - as you now know Applaws is only complimentary and though Orijen is one of the better dry foods a wet diet is still far better imo.
Just a word of warning - none of the foods you have selected look anything like Applaws and you may have some trouble persuading Lily to try them. If she is reluctant try crushing some Orijen over the top ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thunderstorms?! I'm so jealous!!!!!

Thank you for your reply :) I'm not overly worried about the swap, she regularly attempts to steal food from my plate or while I'm trying to prepare meals to cook. Her latest achievement was swordfish - cheeky madam! oh, and she does enjoy a korma when we get our 'blue moon' takeout. :lol:

She was on [email protected] pate and another one of their tins before Applaws came along and they don't look similar in any way, so we should be ok.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing what happens!

Bozita impressed me. They do a food for indoor and sterilised cats, which is perfect! My next job is to really read up on diets and foods for indoor cats - anyone have any book/article recommendations? So glad I'm getting this sorted now before my little one arrives.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Personally I think that indoor cat diets are gimmicks... Good quality food is good quality food.

Applaws wet you will still be fine to feed as an occasional treat.... Mine love the chicken and cheese, so they still get that as a treat.

The foods you've got from Zooplus are great... But your line "see which one sticks" implies you are thinking long term of only one brand. In all honesty, I think a rotation approach to prevent boredom is the best. So all these brands in a rotation would be great.

I have several brands in a rotation... However, mine also have half raw too... So one meal a day tinned and one raw.

As has already been said, a wet diet is preferable to a dry, but Orijen is around the best dry... Along with Acana and applaws. I still give my two a tiny amount of dry.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Personally I think that indoor cat diets are gimmicks... Good quality food is good quality food.

Applaws wet you will still be fine to feed as an occasional treat.... Mine love the chicken and cheese, so they still get that as a treat.

The foods you've got from Zooplus are great... But your line "see which one sticks" implies you are thinking long term of only one brand. In all honesty, I think a rotation approach to prevent boredom is the best. So all these brands in a rotation would be great.

I have several brands in a rotation... However, mine also have half raw too... So one meal a day tinned and one raw.

As has already been said, a wet diet is preferable to a dry, but Orijen is around the best dry... Along with Acana and applaws. I still give my two a tiny amount of dry.
I feel like I am going down Space Chicks approach, rotation using some of the best quality wet food ie Grau, Herrmanns etc with Natural Instinct raw + raw chicken legs/necks/ Beef Heart with a little Meowingheads (good quality dry food) occasionally with Applaws wet as a not complete meal treat. With Thrive freeze dried treats and Webbox tube/sachets treats. Obviously I don't feed them all this all the time!! poorly tummys!!:D

Yes you got it, covering all bases. Tried Herrmanns wet sachet food for the first time last week and they really seemed to enjoy that one ( ordered from Fuettern-mitspass webs site, UPS delivery 3 days although Floyds is also a popular choice for buying from Germany access to high quality wet food brands not available from Zooplus)

A mine field. See what works with yours.

Just found out yesterday that my cheeky eldest cat opening the cat food drawer pulling it out getting the tube of Thrive treats and had the tube between his paws opening the plastic lid!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CitrineBlue - That is utterly hilarious! And brilliant!!!! :lol:

Thanks so much everyone :eek:

Feel a lot less guilty this morning, thank god.

What I had been doing with Applaws was just rotating the flavours, so I was going to do the same with whichever she likes most - knowing my luck will be all 3! :rolleyes: but I can see the boredom issue.

It's creeping in with her Orijen, so I use Purely biscuits which she goes nuts for lately! Her cupboards have more variety than mine!!! :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.