Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diet help after losing 10 teeth!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Mika91, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Mika91

Mika91 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

My chihuahua, Mika, 10, had dental work done recently due to very poor teeth. She weighs about 2-3 kilos.

She lost ten of them including her canines, she still has her front and molars at least. But there really isnt much left. The vet has told us to change her diet to soft food.
    Mika hates the commercial tinned/packet food and won't go near it so we have had to resort to homemade food. To be honest it's not much of a hassle and we don't mind.

My worry is that she isn't getting the right nutrition and I wanted advice on her diet...

Currently she rotates weekly between the meat, so boiled chicken or good ground beef/turkey. She has rice or potatoes mixed in with peas or carrots or spinach. Occaisonally she has had oats and I have tried a baked egg with her too. She can be quite picky! So a meal might look like this

- chicken, rice, peas and carrots
    Or
    - beef, potatoes, green beans

I wanted to know whether I should add multivitamins, bone meal, cod liver oil or calcium supplements into her meals. Well, I know I need to, just whether I add all together or space them out?

These are the supplements that seem to have come up when I researched online. But how often should I be adding it in? as I also dont want to over do it! If I can add in the nutritional values through food instead I will but I am not sure what that may look like.. And realistically this may be difficult, hence people adding in supplements..

Can someone help me on what I should add or change please? Maybe a recipe to follow...

2. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

Maybe have a look at the Lily's Kitchen recipe book?

lullabydream likes this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

@Magyarmum makes a home cooked diet. She may have some suggestions.

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I would add a multivitamin and mineral supplement. Beaphars make one which is pretty good.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

There is a healthy adult home made diet below, you can use a variety of meats or fish. There is also a crock pot/slow cooker version.
    http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/healthy_diet.htm

There is also a section on supplements for home cooked diets.
    http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/supplements.html

There used to be a very good supplement called SA37 which is not longer available, the nearest equivalent is SF50 which is a vitamin and mineral supplement that may be worth having a look at.
    http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-suppleme...s-formula-supplement-sa-37-replacement-p-5807

6. Mika91

Mika91 PetForums Newbie

Thank you all! Will have a look at your suggestions

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice