Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diet for pup with possible colitis

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by acid_kewpie, Feb 5, 2008.

1. acid_kewpie

acid_kewpie PetForums Newbie

Hi,

a few weeks back we foolishly tried swapping out puppies food from pedigree dried puppy food to bakers dried food and she reacted very badly to that (or the box of dried pasta she ruined about the same time!) and got bad diarrhea as a result, with some blood etc... we've since been feeding her on rice and fish which has helped her by all accounts but what is the ideal thing to actually feed her on for a while longer? we have a *lot* of tinned pedigree puppy food which we weened her off, would that be good? the fish she has is normally tuna of pilchards, which actually seem to not be the right kind of fish as i'd have thought - shouldn't it be white fish like cod? either way she's generally ok on it, but i'd like to get back to the pedigree dry stuff as soon as possible, and i'd have thought that it should be pretty digestable anyway... Obviously there's the Hills science plan stuff, but if rice and fish are doing ok for now i'd rather that anyway...

any tips appreciated

Chris.

2. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

I had a dog with collitus I fed him Purina Lamb and Rice and added the necessary amounts of Dorwest Tree Bark Powder and Tesco Low Fat Probiotic drink - it won't clear up overnight but it does heal from the inside out. The boy I had with 'horrendous' collitus is now 6 1/2 and (touching wood) has never had it since and is now fed on Royal Canin sensible.

Good luck with your pup.

3. Poodle

Poodle PetForums Newbie

For persistent colitis use Purina HD - prescription diet. this is a white, dry food that smells like milk! Although it is a prescription diet there is at least one UK internet pet pharmacy site that will sell a smallish bag online without prescription if you can't get to your vet. I have never found a dog who has not LOVED this food!

4. Pamnhols

Pamnhols PetForums Newbie

HI, try rice pudding or just as you are doing, plain chicken or white fish and rice. Until his tummy settles down, then you could try James well beloved foods as they are hypoallergenic or Wafcol. Both of these are vcery good and do specific food for dodgy tums.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice