Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diet for my cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Miss.PuddyCat, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Im taking my cat horris in for a vet check up as hes been having problems behavour wise and also with food.

Horris in short is a pig, he will often eat everything in his bowl (which is two scoops of wet with dry mixed in (twice a day), with about midday a small plate of tuna) he will them move onto one of my other cats food bowels and take it from them. I have now resorted to feeding him seperatly from the other cats.

At the last vet check up they said he was getting heavy and he is a very haevy built boy. So i was wondering if anyone had any cat food youd recommand for me to ask my vet about :confused:

I have started giving him small tidbits of raw chicken and salmon and hes taken to in like a fish in water.

2. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

Your vet should be able to weigh him when you take him. Also it is possible to take the cat in regularly for free weighing usually by a vet nurse or helper.

On the back of cat food is a 'how much they should have according to weight of cat' chart - or on the websites if print too small to read :D

You can then limit his food.

Going on to a raw diet would be better for him but you do need to be quite dedicated to do that. Cutting dry food entirely would help as dry is more calorific. I think a number of people on this forum tend to give a combo of good quality wet (high protein, no cereal fillers) and raw.

3. Riverwish

Riverwish PetForums Member

I'm trying to wean Oscar off the dry food at the moment as he has a HUGE belly and he's not a big cat, he's got a tiny head so his proportions are all out. I was told the lady who took him in to rescue had been feeding him leftover bits from her kitchen for a while before she took him in :rolleyes:

I was under the impression that senior cat food had less fat than normal cat food, though thinking about it i'm not sure where I heard that. Maybe someone can confirm that?

4. Miss.PuddyCat

Janee - I would take him in to get wieghed more often but the problem being my vet is two towns away and i dont drive. So i have to get a lift which is usually my mom.

Ill have a look at the back of the can and see if i can figure this out as im feeding 3 adults and one kitten at the moment. About the dry do u think i could just throw it outside for the animals to eat or do think the animals shelter would like whats left? There is quite a bit

I picked up some chicken hearts and giblets today at the butchers, im think on going back and getting another pack as i have heard its hard to find chicken hearts. I also have caned tuna and salmon as well as raw salmon unfreezing in the fridge. Im also gonna pick up reduced meat this thursday as i really want to give this raw diet a try, i dont think ill be having any complaints tho :cool:

River - im not sure kira my moms cat is a senior but were not sure of her age excatly she just gets feed the food i feed my two youner cats cuz shes very fussy.

5. Janee

Janee PetForums VIP

there is a load of advice on this forum about raw feeding, but I think it is advisable to start gently, bit at a time. Any change of food may have an effect on output i.e. poo consistancy.

If you really want to get rid of the dry take it to the animal shelter. I keep good quality dry on hand because sometimes it is just easier to give a handful of dry, just occasionally. Such as 6 am on a Sunday morning when I don't feel like getting up properly.

6. Miss.PuddyCat

Well ive slowly over the last week fed them chicken hearts,tuna,and some raw herring.

I was at the grocery store tonight, and picked up some meat that i was gonna cut up and freeze for my cats. A lady was beside us and my mom mentioned to her that i was starting to fed my cats raw. Well the lady told me its horrible to feed cats raw as its bad for them. I told her i did alot of research and its fine (I have a hard time talking to people and trying to have my say as they usually cut me off, so i kinda give up and ignore them) Well anyways i walked off and my mom stayed and chatted to the lady who told my mom that its bad food and that it will get stuck in the intestines and cuz cancer? :confused: (her vet told her this)

so now my mom is completly off the idea and i put all the meat i got back on the shelf as i didnt feel like argueing. I feel like a bad owner now :(

Should i mention the raw diet idea to my vet or just talk about some other food?

7. 155274184824275

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

So all cats in the wild die do they, because they eat raw food? What a load of tosh! What do people think a mouse or a bird is? DO they think cats have BBQ's! I do wish some people would think before they open their mouths and spout drivel! If you want to feed raw feed raw. It is absolutely safe and fine. If sh wants to feed her cats loads of additives and carbs etc then let her - it's a free world. Oo, it gets my goat when people poke their noses in where it's really not wanted!:mad:

9. Miss.PuddyCat

Thanks spid.

I think i have figured out a routine for the kitties

In the morning im going to give them all friskies canned pate seafood

then midday give them depending on the day tuna,chicken,salmon, or good dry kibble ( found some at where i work so i get a discount still pricey tho)

then at night give them a can of the good stuff

then ill try maybe every other day with two good cans a day

what do u think spid?

10. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

depends on your vet, when we mentioned to our vet about trying our dog on raw food they hit the roof, saying that its the worst thing we could feed him etc etc , so we didnt tell them we had changed him onto it, they think he is still on dry and canned food but always mentioning how lovely his coat is and how healthy he looks

im now looking into feeding my cats on raw too but i wont be telling our vets that we are

hopefully your vet is more understanding about raw feeding

11. Miss.PuddyCat

I decided not to mention it to her after what happened in the grocery store. How do u feed your dogs raw meat, just for future refernece :)

12. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Sorry I haven't replied to this been a little under the weather - sounds good to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice