Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diet food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Sheltie2021, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Sheltie2021

Sheltie2021 PetForums Member

Are there any good diet foods for cats?
    Iv reduced pumpkins food to 80g 3 times a day of animonda carny but he's still not losing in fact he's just got back from vets and he's upto 7.4kg
    She mentioned diabetes but want me to try a diet food first but the ones she's mentioned aren't very good brands tho I don't know if there diet range is better
    She mentioned hills or royel canin
    Can anyone help?

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

How old is your cat? Unless he is a kitten, 240 gr is a lot for an adult cat!

"diet" foods are usually full of carbs and fiber fillers, not good for the cat at all. Cats need a diet high in meat protein, moderate fat, and most essentially, moisture. This means no kibble.

If the AC already meets these requirements, I recommend cutting back a little on each meal, maybe add a little water to it to help him feel full as he eats.

Get a baby scale and weigh him weekly to monitor loss, a cat should lose weight very very slowly. After you start the smaller meals, monitor his weight for two weeks , if there is no loss, cut back a little more. If there is too much loss, add a little.

I would never feed any cat Hills or RC. Those diets are very poor quality and full of carbs and fillers.

3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

4. Sheltie2021

He will be 8 this Yr
    According to the tin a 5kg cat should be on 245g a day
    And at 6kg he was a healthy weight
    That's what I thought which is why I didn't want to put him on it

5. Sheltie2021

IMG_20210125_122531.jpg this was taken when he was at 7.2kg

6. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

The Hills/RC diet foods do not work. I speak from bitter experience.
    Have a look at this.

www.catinfo.org

#6 Douglas’ Dad, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

He does look a bit chubby but how much is fur?

8. Sheltie2021

He's furs probably about an inch long
    He's definitely chunky lol
    Doesn't help that he has the primordial pouch so even when he was a healthy weight everyone always calls him fat
    Luckily my current vet actually goes by body score my last just kept insisting he should be no more than 4kg

9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

In my experience an 11 pound cat eats about 6 ounces a day. Translated into your numbers a 5 kg cat would eat 170 g of canned food a day. So you are just feeding him too much that's all. You can't really go by what the can says, every cat is an individual, and different foods have different calories, but in my opinion, you just need to cut him back a bit.

However you can't just cut him down 70 g a day all at once. Cats need to lose weight very slowly, as I described earlier.

In addition to cutting back and weighing him weekly, encourage him to be more active by playing with him more. Cats like routine so set up a few interactive play sessions a day. If he seems reluctant to play much, he may be experiencing some arthritis symptoms, and you can look into supplements for that.

10. BlackfishFife

BlackfishFife PetForums Newbie

My cat has asthma and this can cause her to put on weight too, so we have her on the AVA weight management food, and still the sheba sachets on occassions. It's a very slow process to get them to a decent target weight, my two cats are small, but the one that has asthma is tiny, and AVA works well as long as it's supplemented with high proteins too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice