UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Hope you all had a nice weekend, Sorry to start Monday morning off on a downer but I am feeling a bit depressed today :(

I am trying to loose weight as some of you will know as we are hoping to go for IVF just after Christmas. I need to loose about a stone before then (have already lost half a stone and dropped a dress size to a 14)

I have been trying to eat more healthily and have started running, Yesterday after my run I had the worst pain in my shins and could hardly walk yesterday afternoon its still painful today and Ive been told it is probably shin splints...

I just wondered if anyone could give me any advise/support on the best kind of "diet" and exercise programme - I dont have alot of money to join a gym and I think low impact is going to have to be my only option due to my shins and previous problems with my knees.

Any advise welcomed!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Aw hun, get better soon :(

I could go on forever about different diets/exercise whatever, but I think the best advice would be for you to go to your doctor, he/she will have the best advice :)

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Hi Hun, sorry to hear you are feeling down and i hope your knee gets better soon.

Have you got correct running shoes, when i first joined my gym i had just fashion trainers and they killed my legs.

On the diet i would see your doc first and make sure you eat lots of fruit and veg. xxx

·
Registered
18,075 Posts
If you can afford it, then swimming would be the best low impact exercise.

Also, eat your main meal at lunchtime, and avoid carbs in the evening, as these just get laid down as fat.

I can sympathise on the shin splints, i joined my gym in feb, over did it (went everyday, which wasnt a good idea from doing nothing at all) and had to have 3 months off because of the pain.

If you can pay for a nutritional consultation, then try this, some gyms off a one off service. I went to my doc, but she was useless, just kept telling me i was going to get diabetes (im not THAT fat).

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you,

I do have proper shoes, I think I just cant do high impact stuff because I must have weak knees/legs for whatever reason??

I think I will try doc but last time they tried to fob me off with pills which were horrible...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Thank you,

I do have proper shoes, I think I just cant do high impact stuff because I must have weak knees/legs for whatever reason??

I think I will try doc but last time they tried to fob me off with pills which were horrible...
I have weak joints too (hypermobility/arthritis - something you should get checked out especially if you've dislocated joints in the past), Nonnie is right swimming would be the best exercise, very low impact :)

God no, you do not want to go down the pills route :(

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I am not really one to give out advice (i used to be jinxys_owner) but i really hope you manage to do it. There is still a few months yet.

Just remember to drink loads of water, which i know is common sense, but i find the more i say it to other people, the more it drums into me to lol!!

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think perhaps I am putting too much pressure on myself...I am happy as I am (size 14) and wouldnt normally worry about loosing weight - im just careful eat fruit etc but not deprive myself - but my current weight makes my BMI borderline what they will accept on IVF so I am kinda being forced to loose weight...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I think perhaps I am putting too much pressure on myself...I am happy as I am (size 14) and wouldnt normally worry about loosing weight - im just careful eat fruit etc but not deprive myself - but my current weight makes my BMI borderline what they will accept on IVF so I am kinda being forced to loose weight...
It's a shame you feel you have to change the way you look, but it will be better for you in the end :) God knows I should loose some weight too, it's probably why my first pregnancy went wrong :(

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont really have a choice which I think is why I am panicing a bit - I know Christmas seems ages away but its quite alot to loose really in 6 months!

I think it is unfair as I concider myself pretty healthy I dont drink or smoke and I eat plenty of fruit and am out everyday walking Poppy but when we got the letter stating we had been put on the IVF waiting list one of the conditions of treatment was that the woman had a BMI of less than 30.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
The only way to loose weight is to burn more calories than you put in, it might be worth finding a site that lets you calculate your average daily calorie burn, deduct 500 from that and thats the amount of calories you can eat a day and allow you to loose 1lb a week.
To lose 1lb you need to burn 3500 extra calories on top of what your body burns naturally from just living.
You can mix that up by counting the calories you eat, and adding more exercise to your routine.
I have no advise about the pain in your legs though, I don't run much, i just use my cross trainer!
Good luck though. The slower the weight comes off the more likely you are to keep it off in the future.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Swimming is definately a good exercise.

Have you thought about getting a DVD to do at home - aerobics or something - there's millions around! Would lower the impact on your legs/joints (esp. if you have carpet)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone, I think I will take the calorie counting advise and try to work out how I can manage that better. Also I think I will start swimming, my friend suggested we go to water aerobics so think we will give that a go, I do have a DVD but I dont have very good co-ordination and also not a huge amount of space!!

I have Wii fit tho! Maybe I'll get on that too!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TBH Ive only used it a couple of times...I think if I set it up properly it would work, it would at least monitor my weight and I can see how much I have lost, it shows you like a little graph thing

·
Registered
27 Posts
I work for a company that sell sliming stuff, last time I reccommended the products I think it was taken as spam, so I won't that again :blushing:

We do however offer a members area packed with useful diet and exercise info which you might find useful and it won't cost anything to view.

Check our www.pureslim.com/members

There's even a competition to win a Wii, Wii fit and the new EA sports thing you can enter for free.

Hope that helps and if you want any info on the weight loss stuff we do, drop me a line

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
i went out every saturday for a month about 2 years ago...i lost half a stone and i wasnt even drinking heavy, i had like 2-3 alcopops and lost of water and dancing! best diet ever! haha

G

·
I dont really have a choice which I think is why I am panicing a bit - I know Christmas seems ages away but its quite alot to loose really in 6 months!

I think it is unfair as I concider myself pretty healthy I dont drink or smoke and I eat plenty of fruit and am out everyday walking Poppy but when we got the letter stating we had been put on the IVF waiting list one of the conditions of treatment was that the woman had a BMI of less than 30.
Please be careful what you do. Remember that certain excercise will build up muscle and that ways heavier than fat. Some years ago I lost 6 and a half stone in 9 months and thought i was then fit and a was a size 10 and then I did a half marathon and have suffered ever since.

·
Registered
153 Posts
it sounds like I'm in exactly the same boat as you- I'm a size 14 too and also hoping to start IVF treatment in January. I'm also getting married in January so I've got double the incentive to lose the weight.
I'm not really into exercise and the thought of going to the gym makes me feel sick!
I can thoroughly recommend rosemary conley's dvds- you can start at the low impact levels and work your way up as you get fitter. you could try your local library and get different ones each month so you don't get bored.
A friend of mine goes to her diet club too and she's lost loads of weight and looks fabulous.
I've found using a smaller plate at dinner works really well- I still give myself a plateful but I'm actually eating much less- I still cook the same amount but give my OH extra but he's now cycling 20 miles a day so he can take it!
I've also tried to follow a low GI diet- I have PCOS and the nurses at the hospital said that's the best way for me to lose weight. I try to not eat anything white so no white bread, white pasta, sugar, potatoes, etc... Instead I eat 'brown' alternatives and lots and lots of veggies.
I was doing really well and lost a stone between Jan & May but I've got lazy again and have got out of my routine so I need to knuckle down again!
You just need to find a kind of exercise that suits you and you enjoy. If you find it a chore then you'll not stick to it.
Also always keep in mind why you're doing it- you stand a much better chance of having a successful IVF treatment if your bmi is in the 'normal' range. A baby is the best incentive you can have.
best of luck with it all xxx

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.