Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diet concerns re 5 mth kitten recovering from lily poisoning

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by scatatonic, Dec 13, 2019.

1. scatatonic

scatatonic PetForums Junior

Am after advice about my five month kitten who recently ate a lily stamen and was hospitalised for 48 hrs on a drip to flush out toxins. I got him to an emergency out of hours vet within an hour of it happening and his blood results were all fine and have continued to be good. There were however casts in his urine - although these also cleared before he was released. Vet has told me to put him on a renal diet to protect his kidneys but I'm really worried about the lack of nutrition in a growing kitten. Also he doesn't like the meat at all - just licks off the gravy and only picks at the biscuits. He is a very fussy kitten and it took ages to get him on a diet he was happy with ( fresh meat, tuna applaws, royal canin pediatric growth and kitten milk) He is going back for more blood tests and urine tests on Tuesday and will raise this with the vet but could anyone advise how I get him to eat. He seems hungry just very unimpressed with what's on offer - am worried he's not eating anywhere near enough and his energy levels are dipping.

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

By fresh meat do you mean you were feeding him a balanced raw diet? I would continue to feed him that and if you were feeding a rotation of raw and canned I would feed him with normal good quality canned food as well. Look for foods low in carbohydrates. Absolutely no kibble at all. He needs all the moisture he can get. What he does not need is his protein restricted, how will he ever grow properly on such a poor quality "prescription" diet??

It is important that he eat but I would avoid tuna and other fishy foods.

Good job getting him right in for treatment and saving his little, precious life. xx

#2 lorilu, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Lurcherlad and chillminx like this.
  3. scatatonic

Tbh I feel terribly guilty because I should never have had the ruddy things in the house. By meat I mean cooked chicken and turkey. I will look at a raw diet though. I don't eat processed foods myself and somehow seems even worse to feed a cat processed stuff! He is bright eyed and running around like a crazy thing, toileting normally and drinking as normal (he is very good at drinking water, unlike my other cat, we have a cat fountain) so I'm hoping he is given an all clear.

4. scatatonic

Just an update. He has lost .5 kg in a week which is an awful lot considering he was only 3.7 kg to start with. Had bloods and urine tests today. Vet has said his urine test was good but blood levels have gone up since last time (although just within the boundaries of normal) We are ditching the renal diet for now but will review in two weeks when he has further bloods. Vet has advised I feed white meats and fish. Can anyone advise an appropriate kitten food?

5. scatatonic

Just to update we gave up on feeding just kitten food as couldn't find one he liked. He absolutely adores raw chicken though (tried him with scraps when cooking our tea) for now we are feeding a mix of tuna applaws kitten, encore chicken and royal canin pediatric growth. Not ideal but he seems happy and healthy, back to running around like a mad thing and has his chubby cheeks back. Fingers crossed bloods come back good and we can relax a bit.

6. lea247

lea247 PetForums VIP

Luna and Me are a company that make raw food. They make patties that are just raw chicken, so maybe you can try him on them?

https://www.lunaandme.com/collections/cat

My cat has been fed raw all his life (he was weaned on raw and wet) and I feed him mainly raw food with a pouch every other day. Not sure if it's been mentioned but kittens should be fed as much as they will eat, they're very good at regulating the food they need.

scatatonic likes this.
  7. scatatonic

Yep definitely leaning towards a RAW diet for him - reading all these other threads it's fascinating how different cats can be! Essentially the more processed a food looks and smells the less he seems to like it! The one exception has been dry food - he does like his royal canin.. personally I don't but was worrying that he may lack some important nutrients if he's refusing complete wet foods so he gets a bowl for over night snacking.

8. lea247

lea247 PetForums VIP

scatatonic likes this.
  9. scatatonic

Yep that's def an option - would have to keep our other cat out of the way though as she would happily eat all her food and his!

10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

As long as you don't feed him any dry, I'm sure al those will be fine.

11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Oh dear please, eliminate the dry kibble. Its just that bad for either cat, especially a cat with compromised kidneys.. And feeding dry is not going to "balance" incomplete wet. Feed complete wet foods and balanced raw. Both cats will benefit! :)

chillminx and scatatonic like this.
  12. scatatonic

Yeah crazy that vet told me to put him on Royal Canin dry renal diet! Everything I read said avoid dry foods. Because of his weight loss the getting him to eat anything became more of a priority. He flatly refused the renal food (wet and dry) Have just purchased an automatic feeder as this might help with early morning munchies whilst I would rather be asleep! Am going to try switching to a RAW diet as he only seems to like complimentary foods - why are so many foods complimentary? With him being so young I'm worried about him getting the correct nutrition. My other cat is easy - she literally eats anything and everything you put in front of her.

13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Most vets have no knowledge or understanding of feline nutrition. They simply parrot what the pet food reps tell them. It's very sad, but there it is.

The purpose of "complementary" foods is money. The pet food manufacturers discovered they make money selling them, so they make them and sell them. Your kitten needs 100 % balanced nutrition to thrive and grow properly.

I've been raw feeding for almost 8 years. I highly recommend it! :)

But of course unless you feed a commercial raw, you have to be sure to make it balanced. I use two premixes in rotation, getting the meat from the grocery store. I'm the the US though so can't recommend brands to you. We have other raw feeders so you could start a thread on it for guidance.

scatatonic likes this.
  14. scatatonic

Yep I think my starting point will be a commercial raw and see how I go from there. I have googled and found a few in the UK. Thank you so much for your help.

lorilu likes this.
  15. scatatonic

Pablo has just had his latest round of bloods and pretty much all of his levels are down from previous tests. Throughout the whole saga his bloods have remained within normal ranges. This latest test showed an increase in BUN levels but was still within normal range. Vet has advised we re-test in 1 month to keep an eye on them, she has said if they go up anymore we will have to revert to a renal diet. He's only 6 months old. Can I ask whether the fact I am feeding him a high protein diet could be impacting on the higher BUN level? There seems to be a thinking that low protein diets are better for preserving kidney function but the renal diet he was initially put on was catastrophic for him as far as I'm concerned.. his weight has now increased from 3.2 to 3.73 (which is about the weight he was when he was initially admitted) As vet is still talking about a renal diet I'm worried about how I bring these BUN levels down and that the high protein diet may be making them look worse than they are...

oh and last test he still had his breakfast at 6 am (test was at 9.30 am) as I wasn't advised to starve him.. He has tuna encore for breakfast... trying to wean him off it but he's a tuna junkie and he loves his tuna breakfast..

16. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

This is outdated. It's the amount of phosphorous in the meat that can be a problem for some cats with impaired kidney function. The quality of the protein matters as well. Cats need a diet high in meat protein and fat from animal sources, especially a kitten. Restricting protein leads to muscle wasting in an adult cat. I can't even imagine how a half grown kitten would thrive or grow properly on such a poor diet..

There are supplements that can be used to help with things like reducing phosphorous. And lots and lots of water in the diet. No kibble. Ever.

scatatonic likes this.
  17. scatatonic

He currently enjoys thrive and encore - less keen on applaws now. I tried him.on RAW, initially seemed keen, now not! We are avoiding beef as vet recommended chicken and white fish. Have tried fish but not interested in white fish at all. Almost totally off the kibble now, has been difficult as it's one of the few things he consistently liked and we reached a point where his weight loss was so dramatic even the vet said forget everything and just get him eating again. Are chicken and white fish lower in phosphorus?

18. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

@scatatonic have you thought about visiting a CKD group like Tanya's? While I am always going to believe better food is, well, better, I don't know enough about the rest to advise anyone more specifically. @SusieRainbow am I allowed to post Tanya's ckd website here? Thanks.

scatatonic likes this.
  19. scatatonic

Need all the advice I can get! Want to give him the very best chance I can. Everything about him at the moment is screaming healthy, he's very active, alert and cuddly sleeps occasionally(!) Eating like a monster now we have him on food he likes and toileting normally... Just the blood results that are still a slight concern...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice