Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

diet and yeast infection

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by HunterY, Jan 21, 2018.

1. HunterY

HunterY PetForums Newbie

My poor Hunter has had yet another ear infection and operation to what is diagnosed as a yeast infection,
    anyone know if diet is to blame here?
    If so what do you recommend Hunter is an Akita

2. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Member

what do you feed him

3. HunterY

HunterY PetForums Newbie

Dry food Harrington’s mainly

4. pennyLokiMUM

I am not a Vet but diet is linked to allergies, I would ask the Vet for their advice, my Poppy gets allergies it manifests in her skin, eyes and gets upset tum, she also can scratch her ears, we feed her grain free Turkey and Vet as grains are a factor in allergies

Sled dog hotel and wee man like this.
  5. wee man

wee man PetForums Senior

A good quality grain free. It may be more expensive but as it is a better quality , you will need to feed less.
    There are lots of people who are getting good results with grain free these days.

Snoopies and Sled dog hotel like this.
  6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

If it's classed as a yeast problem, and not allergies per se..

You need to look for foods which yeast won't thrive on...which is carbs.

It doesn't matter one jot, feeding grain free especially if we are talking kibble as potatoes which are usually the alternative to grains is carbohydrate, so yeast can still thrive.

Clever marketing about high meat content, 80:20 foods in certain grain free foods may seem that you are minimalising carbs, where in reality labels show dry weight, fresh meat has a lot of moisture content so when actually processed you are left with minimal meat..and a lot of carbs.

It might be expensive,but a good complete wet food might be the way to go to help with yeast overgrowth. A good wet food, with little or no grain in.

I would also recommend a novel protein, so for example it's highly unlikely Harrington's use venison so you could look at venison wet foods.

Although price might be an issue with an akita for wet food, if it helps then you save money on vet treatments etc.

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Dontg know which Harringtons he is on obviously but on taking Adult chicken with rice as an example:-

COMPOSITION: Maize, Chicken Meat Meal (14%), Barley, Meat Meal, Rice

(4%), Poultry Gravy, Poultry Fat, Beet Pulp, Linseed, Minerals, Kelp (0.2%), MOS (0.1%), Citrus Extract (0.04%), Yucca Extract (0.01%).

There is a lot of grains in there which are carbs. Carbs and sugars tend to feed yeast. Although they don't say what the percentage of Maize is they do have to list ingredients by whats most in it first and as Maize is the first ingredient then that must be the highest percentage. Maize is actually one of the most common grains and wheat for causing intolerances in dogs, there is also Barley and Rice so a lot of grains. Obviously you would need to investigate the one he is actually on if not this one, but if he is getting yeast infections then it could perhaps be a contributor.

It would certainly be worth changing to a grain free diet. maybe also try a good canine probiotic. Yeast like candida albicans is naturally present in the body, the problem is usually caused by something that has caused an overgrowth. Lintbells and protexin do good canine pre and pro biotic supplements. Coconut oil added to the diet is supposed to help too.

8. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Wolf of Wilderness - the Artic Sprit is probably the cheapest for big tins of venison (classed as reindeer) no grains, no potatoes .... just meat and berries.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/wet_dog_food/wolf_of_wilderness/586121

£2 for a big 800 gram tin .... the bulk buy saver packs work out a bit cheaper too.

All flavours are popular with my 3 :)

Sled dog hotel and lullabydream like this.
  9. lullabydream

Favourite here too!! Although mine aren't fussy!

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  10. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I’m pretty sure Butchers Tripe cans are cereal free (you could contact them to confirm)and a decent budget food.
    Typically £1.60 for 1.2kg can/12x400g £5.50

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  11. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Ha-ha neither are mine! But they definitely have some favourites. Poppy goes wild as soon as I open up a tin of kangaroo !

lullabydream likes this.
  12. lullabydream

Mine go wild for any food...although Stan adores venison based food. Which is good since that's what he has to eat!..

Currently my son feeds them in the evening with me and OH working.. apparently he can't take his head phones off as he's 'chilling after getting his degree' without them going wild and crazy! As that's obviously a sign he's going to feed them!

13. lullabydream

Yes they are!

Lurcherlad and Mum2Heidi like this.
  14. pennyLokiMUM

Harringtons do a grain free option maybe mix with wet food, but follow the advice on hear they know diets and health are linked

15. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Or raw.

16. Snoopies

Snoopies PetForums Newbie

If you go for wet food you will only bring on other issues. Poor toiling, Bad teeth (potentially equals intestinal issues! )
    IF you want to avoid dry kibble (which there are a good number that have very close to a dogs natural nutritional requirements) go to RAW.

17. lullabydream

Wet food doesn't make for bad teeth...and is a great way to avoid carbs which feed on yeast. Many dogs are fed on wet food daily..in fact genetics are often to blame for teeth problems as for example toy breeds are prone due to the fact of their small mouths with teeth crammed in them because that's how we as humans have desired them.

Kibble unless dental specific isn't great for teeth and human dentist will tell you the main cause of problems in teeth are from carbohydrate dense food such as crisps which actually stay on the teeth rather than the old wives tale of too many sweets or kissing the girls/boys.

Raw diet is only good if the person does their research and sadly people don't.

If you want dental care nothing will replace brushing and chewing but people are not always feeding raw bones and any chewing is good.

Mum2Heidi and Sled dog hotel like this.
  18. Snoopies

Snoopies PetForums Newbie

"Wet food doesn't make for bad teeth" - really? Are you serious?
    Love to know what this so called "dental specific" is - let me know and I will tell the Vet Nurse that does my dogs dentals - she hates the fact that wet food is so prevalent.

19. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

My dogs have had wet food as a good portion of their diet all their lives, I don't feed just kibble or wet although they do have it as part of their diet, Oddly enough they have never needed a dental in their lives and lived to 11.5, 14, 14+, 16+and 9 years old and the current one is nearly 12. Although the current one a few year back, did fracture a tooth and got a tooth root abcess, and while they were extracting the tooth while he was out did a dental as part of the process.

None of mine have had gut related problems or intolerances either all their lives or toileting issues.

Mum2Heidi and lullabydream like this.
  20. lullabydream

Am sure your vet nurse will tell you..dental specific kibble is made by hills.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice