Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diet advice for an elderly cat with possible kidney issues

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Savahl, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Hiya!

My mums cat is 18 or so, and has been painfully thin for a while now, although its hidden underneath bundles of fur. We have often mentioned this to the vet but no avail, we take her to get her claws cut every 6 weeks or so, but she hates the vets... she poos and drools in her crate on the way there and back, refuses to stand up on the vets table and is generally an unhappy kitty.

Because of this the vet, and my mum, dont want to stress her out excessively doing tests, but the vet is reletively convinced its kidney problems...

Is there anything we can do to make her more comfortable? She has a very delicate belly and pretty much everything except fish kitikat makes her sick! And she just wont touch wet food.

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

TBH, if the cat is going through the stress of travelling to the vet every few weeks I think the additional stress of taking bloods while she is already there is pretty minimal.
    If it is kidney failure then her dry diet will not be helping....but if she wont eat wet food or even a prescription dry food then your options are limited. It is possible to give sub-Q fluids at home and also give various supplements/medications which might make her more comfortable....but without being negative, some owners may not want to go to these lengths and expenses. Kidney failure cannot be cured and will be fatal...sorry to be blunt.

3. Savahl

Savahl Guest

we know she is on borrow time, she is very old, arthritic and a bit mad! We take her to a small temporary surgery thats only open half hr a day but is a lot more local and near my place so I can come out and help - the tests would involve taking her to the main surgery which is further away, longer waits, ALOT more animals around and its just hellish for her really - mum takes her to the one nr me cos its normally empty and there is no waiting, so takes as little time as possible...

Thanks for the advice though...

4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Ahh, thanks for explaining that about the vets, it makes more sense now.
    TBH, I would be feeding her whatever she wants, whenever she wants and wherever she wants ( probably why I woke up to cat biscuits on my pillow this am as my oldie fancied a midnight snack! ) She seems to like lots of small snacks through the day rather than 2 main meals.
    Would your cat be tempted by cat milk or home made chicken broth to try and get more fluids into her?

5. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Thanks :) Will suggest the chicken broth! We really just want to make her comfortable, she barely moves these days...just sleeps lots!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice