Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Did your dog change for better or worse

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by bird, Jul 14, 2009.

1. bird

bird PetForums VIP

when you had him/her "done". Only asking cause my boy seems to be going into overdrive just lately, so even though I wanted to leave him whole, no reason just didnt want to mess without due cause. He is trying to hump me hubby, cushions, bedding, and friends dogs, though only certain ones if thats believable and yes its bitches that I'm talking about. Question is I've heard a lot about dogs changing for the worse after the op and wondered what everyone else has experience.

2. LouJ69

LouJ69 PetForums VIP

I got Monty 'done' at 6 months old, so I'm not really sure tbh. If getting them 'done' is supposed to calm them down, I'd hate to see him if I hadn't gotten him done!!!! He's mad as a brush even now, 3 years later!

3. Yourgifts Ourgifts

Yourgifts Ourgifts PetForums VIP

Sky certainly changed after his op..took a couple of months tho but put the humping out of him and the main thing i noticed was that he wasn't trying to get away anymore..became a real home boy..;)

4. My dog was a rescue, we got him at 1 years, and he was "done" at about 1 and a half years, maybe 2? His personality didn't change at all, apart from he became alot calmer :)

5. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

Unless there is a bitch in season around, humping is usually a dominance thing rather than a sexual behaviour.

All my pet bitches have been spayed and the pedigrees were also desexed once their show careers were over. None of them had any personality changes for better or worse.

I had a Pug boy desexed at 3 and he was his usual mad, bad self afterwards. The only difference was he was no longer upset when the bitches on the property next door were in season.

My rescue Deerhound was desexed but I left my pedigree boys entire. Deerhounds are not an over-sexed breed so they are usually perfect gentlemen even when there are entire girls around.

As a general rule it is usually best to have all pet dogs desexed.

6. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

i have had two males dogs and never had any probs with humping or aggression etc so never felt the need to get them done, so i guess my post aint much help really LOL. oh well :)

7. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

All my males are entire with the exception of Jasper who is done. All my boys live with entire bitches but I've never had any problem with them humping anything. They do hump the bitches if they are either coming into season or have not long gone out of season.

8. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

As far as male dogs go, castration will greatly reduce the amount of testosterone produced thus hopefully reducing certain undesirable male traits.
    HOWEVER I would not recomend it for all males, yes if hyper sexy and dominant (coupled with training) but not for nervous dogs.
    This is only my 2nd male, my 1st was castrated at 2 years made no ounce ofdif to personality or any behaviour, my 2nd is nearly 7 and yes he has issues but castration wont help as his behaviour is now classed as "learnt behaviour" and he also has nervous issues .
    Its entirely up to the owner as to when/if they do it, but my only advive is wait till they are fully developed and with large/giants wouldnt do it b4 2 years.

9. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Hes a cocker so if I do go down that route it wont be until hes about 18mth hes 9mth now. I dont believe its a dominance thing as humping the other dogs its only the pointers he tries, but thinking about it they have been taking it in turns to come into season so that will probably be it and he tries with us nine times out of ten when he's seen them. I believe he tries us when in play the most "dangerous time" is just after he's eaten

10. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I've had all 4 of my dogs done and my bitch and can honestly say they haven't changed one single bit. Obviously we have all the rescues done before rehoming and in the 100's that have been done we've had no problems whatsoever. The only issue I had was Sidney had a reaction to the anesthetic but that wasn't anything to do with the op itself, he recovered from that within 12 hours it was the anesthetic that knocked him so I now know to avoid it unless absolutely necessary.

11. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

At 9 months his hormones are probably going a bit awol,
    Tyler had a spate of humping his bed when he was younger so we diverted his attention towards something else.
    All dogs will do it,it's part of growing up.

My boy is 3 1/2 years old, and entire with no issues or problems and will remain that way.
    If you want to castrate you can always try the injection first and see what, if any effect it has on him.

12. bird

bird PetForums VIP

I dont want to castrate him, I believe if it aint broke dont fix it, apart from the fact I think hubs would cry for him :rolleyes: I'm hoping he'll settle down and yes if push comes to shove then I will try the injection first but as I said earlier he's not getting touched if at all until he's at least 18mths.

13. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I think it depends on the individual dog/breed. If he isnt bothered by his hormones then why should you be?LOL
    Adam, or Atilla/Adolf as he is sometimes called, my chihuahua tries to hump bitches in season, cocks his leg over anything left on the ground in the park, still humps his foam bed regularly and is pushy and overly dominant with the cats and other dogs in the house.
    I shudder to think what he would of been like if I hadnt neutered him!!:eek: I do remember counting the days til he was 6months old though!.

14. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

Never had any of mine done!

Never had a problem either

15. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I got Bailey dones at 9 months.
    And I think it was for the best.
    He humped everything, even our legs, well at least tried to.
    We had him done, and now he doesn't do it at all.
    x

16. Oblada

Oblada Guest

You can deal with the humping without having to neuter - as mentioned its likely to be more than just sexual urges but more a teenage/cheeky/dominance phase normal to most dogs. My boy did it too (ard 6-9 months), we were clear with him we wouldnt tolerate the humping and trained him out of it and hes perfectly fine now (at 14months) :)

17. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

We had our first springer neutered at 9 months as he was showing signs of dominance, humping, bed guarding, and i think it made him a little nervous although it did stop the problems. we didnt have our 2nd one done as he was so calm (for a springer) lovely character and i didnt want to change him, if ide have known what he was going to suffer i would have, we had him done at 6 years old and it didnt change his character, we learnt that if a dog is done young as in months old there is more of a chance of him changing as when they are older their character has already formed and the chances of changing that is much slimmer.

I know a lot of people dont have theirs neutered but to be honest if i ever had another male i would have him done at around 2/3yrs his character would be formed but a little young to get the ilnesses that by being intact can cause. I agree that many,many dogs go through life intact and never have any problems but having experienced what we did i would never risk it.

18. Millie1212

Millie1212 PetForums Newbie

Hi there what a beautiful picture of the sunbeams. Your dog must have been very special to you. Guess you have one now? Millie and Alfie (6 months):):):smile

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice