Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Did you ever have to put your dog back on lead during adolescent stage?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by shibby, Apr 10, 2011.

1. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Our pup was doing great off lead but we noticed he was getting a little more 'independent' so he's been back on for about a month-two months. We're not prepared to take him off yet and have just ordered him an 8m extendable lead (currently on 5m). He's on meet and greets again too and doesn't get to play with dogs on account of being on lead, which is a little sad. We did anticipate an adolescent stage but I was just curious about other peoples experiences :) I know some dogs seem to sail through adolescence with no/very few problems...

2. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

We had no choice with Tummel he lost all recall and didn't care where he went!!! I had to walk him on a 10ft long line and could only let him off in a very secure field on the farm...This lasted from abou January through to March and although his recall isn't 100% it's definatly there...he does still have some days where he just won't listen but i just keep him on lead once i've caught him...he's now realised this happens so we have less bad days now...one or 2 a month.

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Harvey is coming up to 11 months now, and dare I say it, he is still being as good as gold.

Alfie sailed through his teenage months without any trouble but Blue was a nightmare, an absolute devil dog from 1 year old till about 17 months. I was tearing my hair out with him but we came through the other side and he is a superstar now.

Bernese are exceptionally loyal by nature, they never want to be away from their owners, and like to follow them around like lost little sheep, so I'm hoping Harvey won't loose his recall, but we'll have to wait and see! My last Bernese tested the boundaries a little at this age but mainly in regards to chewing and behaving in the house, he never lost recall so I'm hoping Harvey will follow suit.

How old is your fella?

4. Yes! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Problemfor me they one grown out their adolesent stage yet! not to worry though! he's only 10 maybe next year!

Seriously YES and think most people do! and there may be other timesin his life when you would have to leash him,even when he is past adolesent -does not mean he isn't trained

All the best
    DT

5. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Yep zeb went totally deaf for about 6 months now he's pretty much 100% but we work on it every single day and always have high value treats as a reward for coming back!

6. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

I had a stage with Suki when I couldn't let her off the lead, just after she turned 1. She had been fine and then one day took her out and she just refused to listen and she ran off and I couldn't find her anywhere and to make matters worse it was getting dark, I followed the route I saw her take as much as possible ((Bailey was only a pup at the time so I was having to carry him too)) going through trees, tight areas, over fences, checking rabbit holes the works, She must of been out for about 2hours, I started to make my way back to the house ((the woods are right behind my parents house and we showed Suki how to get to the back of the gardens in the case she got lost)) And what do you know, after all that worrying and searching, here she was sitting by the fence at the back trying to figure out how to get over..
    One of the worse experiences in my life and she never got off the lead for way over 2 months. I started with the recall again and even then I'd never let her off the lead if I was on my own.. Bailey had never been too bad, though if he sees people and other dogs he barks and then runs towards him, he does come back but he's now taking longer to come back so I'm looking into once again going through our recall training...
    The joys of dogs lol

7. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

We used to put Rolo back on a long line in some situations, where he needed to be put back on a lead to get safely to the car. We didnt use it much, but it has always been on standby just in case.

8. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Thank you for your replies! :) Nice to know I'm not alone. He's just turned one this week. We had one or two instances were he ran off to say hello to a dog and ignored us. Because of his breed we always try to be cautious. I think he'll always need to be leaded around kids as he wants to join in playing football. He doesn't seem to mind being on lead, it's only when another dog invites him to play and he realises he can't that I think it gets to him :(

9. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

You know my answer :eek:

Rupert was offlead from almost 5 months old til 10 months old. He is now 2.5 years old and still onlead unless we are away from home (I mean in another county) because there is too much going on to risk it here.

10. Yummylab

Yummylab PetForums Member

Its really funny this topic has come up today as we have been camping this weekend and gone to the beach most days with the dog, first time we went he was a little angel and was enjoying the sea and playing fetch. Well the second and third we went time he didnt care what toy we played with if there was another dog he could see he was gone and it didnt matter how far the dog was away!!!!! He would eventually come back mainly when you had to get him!!! But I couldnt believe him at all and he's 18 months now looks like we might be going back to that lovely stage :rolleyes:

11. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Zipper yes, Lilly no :)
    I used a long line with Zipper from 10 months to 18 months.
    His recalls not perfect - picnics are his downfall :rolleyes: - so if I see any picnicers he has to stay on lead and he's 4.

12. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

It's hard having to go back to on lead & training but it's for the best in our case. I see so many dogs who just belt around the park to any dog and the owners can't call them back. I'd much rather him be on lead than start doing that :)

13. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

I think we'll have to keep an eye on the picnickers too :D Thankfully he's not been up to them before but the picknickers=food link would be an additional thing to deal with...

14. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

No i didnt i just upt he anti, when monty our first springer got to teenage phase you would have thought he had never been taught a thing, i just took him back to puppy stage, harvey was never as bad and ask for molly she has never gone through it been extremely lucky with her.

15. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Yes, as soon as they hit the randy stage! Especially Joshua, he totally ignored me and followed every dog he saw. He was fine once he'd had the chop:tongue_smilie:

16. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

I don't think he's had a randy stage as he was neutered at 6 months (rescue scheduled him in). But he has had a silly sausage stage! At least when his new lead comes we won't have to go through muddy puddles :D

17. mel@fish

mel@fish PetForums Senior

Yep, Skye is back on the lead (long training lead) at the moment until she is 'reigned' back in! Pardon the pun!!!!! She was doing great with the recall but as her confidence has grown so has her selective hearing! She's 12 months old now. PreAgility classes start in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping the respect between her and me will improve considerably doing this !! Fingers crossed! :)

18. Mama Sass

Mama Sass PetForums Senior

Basil (border terrier), was back on the long lead for most of the winter - from when he hit a year old until now. He was a nightmare, it was like he had his fingers in his ears when we were calling him!

But all of a sudden, he has turned a corner and seems to have grown up - he is almost eighteen months old now. He is calmer in the house, has 99% recall and is just so much easier to live with! He doesn't even chase the cat as much!!

I have to say though that we were consistent throughout his teenage phase and kept the training up even though it was difficult at times, keeping the faith that something was going in and he would eventually get it!

We still never let out guard down with him though - training is constant and we always have toys and treats at the ready to distract him with if he gets too excited playing with other dogs, but most of the time he comes away no problem.

:)

19. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Same age as our guy :) I'm hoping to buy him an agility kit in a couple of months, I hope your classes go well!

That's good to hear! I've heard for Staffies is can be 2 years when they start to mellow so we're looking at a high level of training for a good few months yet. We've noticed changes, he used to pick up any piece of paper/bottle/tissue/food etc. but will leave them now and he will sit still in the car, before (even though he's secure) he would wriggle about. So hopefully we'll get there, slowly but surely :)

20. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Sailor (rotty x staffy) has been great off lead for ages, he just loved to play with other dogs and get fusses off other people and his recall, altho not perfect, on the whole was really good.

But last few months he has been very dominant with other dogs, trying to stand tall above them all and his hormones are flooding in, he has been humping everything in sight, including poor children and his long suffering bed.

His coming up to 18 months now and soon after he will be getting castrated.

In the mean time tho, his been on lead on all walks and I only let him off lead over the field when I think its clear, if I see another dog, I get him back on the lead asap.
    Theres nothing worse than having your hyper clumsy large adolescent pup diving all over other dog walkers and their dogs... while your mouth dries up through nerves and you loose the ability to whistle, not that Sailor is taking much notice of me calling or whistling when theres another dog near by to play with :eek:

It is nice when other dogs come to him and he gets to sniff them and interact etc, but with him being a large bull breed, with his bits intatct, I would rather be cautious and keep him on lead intil he gets castrated ( but only if that calms his ego lol )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice