Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Did you do your homework?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SpringerHusky, Jul 8, 2009.

1. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

We all tell people to do their homework before getting dog, but how many of us here are guilty of not doing it? ;)

Barney-Didn't know much about springers, just knew they were crazy dogs and that everyone had one.

Maya-I seriously had no idea about malamutes, I thought she was sibe mix :rolleyes: I done loads more researching on sibes but upon getting her saw she was part mal but later discovered she's all mal.

I also had a toy poodle who I managed to do a little bit of homework before getting him.

I'm still forever doing homework on mals at this moment as all my life i've been obsessed with siberian huskies, I never glanced at mals (god knows why I didn't 'cause i'm in love with 'em now)

2. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

I did a fair bit of research on cockers before I got Daisy, but have to say although the books/websites said there was a difference in energy levels between working and show types, I didn't really "get" what that entailed... I don't know that you really can until you own one. I picked a working cocker rather than show type because I prefered the way they looked :blushing: and didn't mind if it (she) was a bit more boisterous.
    I don't regret it at all - and am going to get a second one soon, but I would advise anyone looking for a pet dog to think very carefully before getting a working type, cos to say they are a bit more energetic is an understatement, a bit like comparing a ferrari to a fiesta cos they are both cars...

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Sky - grown up with GSDs but didn't know all the facts. Now I'm putting together a GSD guide :D

4. Shaza

Shaza PetForums Junior

My sister already had lhasas but I decided to do my own research before getting any....bought books, internet research, spoke to breeders etc. Suki's breeder has also become a friend and mentor for when I move into showing next year :D

5. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

reseached for a couple of years, spoke to owners and read the book (only 1 at time due to being a rare breed).
    Did loads of homework and gues what??
    Still learning!

6. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

I am an info junky so had bought and borrowed every book and piece of information i could on pugs before i got my first one.

Nothing prepared me for the frenzied ball of energy that arrived but i had done my homework and it was and is the right breed for my family.

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have worked with and around dogs for a lot of my life so have a good idea of what I like but still have done research when I changed from shelties and border collies to poodles.

8. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

We did :)

So many people don't though,they don't know what the breed require etc and I believe this amongest other reasons is why they are handed into rescue because the owner couldn't meet the dogs / breeds requirement.

9. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

I didn't with most of them as they are rescued mongrels and crossbreeds I didn't really think too much about the breed I was more concerned with the dog. I did however research standard Poodles when I knew I was able to adopt Sidney, because he was the only one I've adopted as a puppy so wanted to know what to expect...and when the book said high energy they meant high energy!!!!:eek:hmy:

10. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

I worked for many years in animal welfare so I learnt early to do my homework.

When my husband and I decided to get a Pug many years ago they were not a very popular breed here in Australia. I joined the Pug club, went to a few shows, talked to a lot of people and then placed an order for a black pup with an interstate breeder. I waited 9 months for my baby and spent the time learning as much as I could about the breed. My current Pug Arwen is 16 now and my first Pug Mary was her great great grandmother so I think our research payed off.

When we decided to get our first Deerhound we did the same thing. Joined the club and got to know a few people. Then we went on a waiting list for a bitch puppy. We never did get that pup. A half starved, badly abused middleaged Deerhound who had spent at least the previous three years constantly on a chain was bought into the pound. Both the Vet I worked for and the President of the Deerhound club said the dog was too far gone and it would be kindest to put him to sleep. I took him home.

Herne was somewhere between 5 and 9 years old when we rescued him and we had two wonderful years together. We lost him three days after surgery for gastric torsion. Herne taught us more about Deerhounds than any book and thanks to him we were well trained when we finally got our first Deerhound puppy.

After losing our last beautiful Deerhound man, Weyland, we couldn't stand the thought of losing another at only 7 so we decided to go for a smaller breed. We also did our research before buying our Sheltie and Whippet.

Sorry for waffling. I tend to say too much once I start.:blush2:

11. ally

ally Banned

No basically and with hindsight we didn't when we got Ruby. Although we have had dogs for over 40 years, I rushed into getting her and although she is a fab dog I didn't consider the breeders at all. With Dyson things were different as he came from a rescue.

12. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

I have always had mongrels, until last year when we saw an Norwegien Elkhound at Dogs Trust, did all the research spoke to breeders etc, and decided we would have him. He was absolutely brilliant with us as a family, however he was not a typical type as stated in books, he would not allow anyone in our home, attacked them!! we had to make the very hard decision to return him after 8 months when he went for one of my daughters friends:(

13. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

My parents owned Akita's, so as a kid i read as many books on the breed as i could...:)

14. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

No, as it wasnt planned, and i was thrown in the deep end a bit.

Within a week though i had loads of books, and did as much research as i could. Id worked with dogs for years, and grown up with them, but Oscar was the first puppy that i had sole responsibility for. It was a VERY steep learning curve.

15. animallover111

I was brought up around working dogs and worked at an animal sanctuary.My first dog was a rescue mongrel so no research but then i came across my sharpei Vaunny didnt have time to research he had been bred for illegal fighting and i just knew i could not leave him there so took a massive risk and paid £1000 and brought him home!!!That was nearly 9 yrs ago he has lots of health issues but he is a wonderfull dog but have to say i honestly would not ever own another sharpei!!I would strongly advise anyone who is thinking of owning a sharpei to do as much research as possible. Again i was thrown in the deep end with a litter of 3 and a half week old SBT's didnt know what to do or how we would cope but we did.We now have 5 dogs(some fosters) which can be of any breed and fingers crossed we are doing just great.

16. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

I'll admit that I did little research before getting Harvey almost 6 years ago - just liked the breed. I bought him from a breeder but he is not KC registered and I'd say I am very lucky he is still heart clear.

With Pippa I was more aware of the health issues with the breed so researched a lot more into it via the internet, books and talking to breeders. It took me months to find her.

I think in general we are all much more aware of health issues concerning our chosen breed and as responsible dog owners we do not buy the first pup to come along.

17. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

I'm a researcher by profession so it comes naturally to me to research till I'm blue in the face.

I almost think I over-did it a bit, if such a thing is possible, because it became a bit of an obsession.

18. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

yes i did quite abit of reading on both breeds and im now reading more into Mals as Zeb seems to have much more mal in him then springer.
    Im just starting to read up Utonagans as i would LOVE one of them

19. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Not with Dixie, she was an impulse buy. But I did have experience with collie x lab (the dad) and jrt (the mum) and knew quite a bit about them.

With dave I did sh1tloads of homework on puppies, I know by now all about dogs with collie and lab in them, I knew (and still don't) know all that much about staffies but he really doesn't have much staffy in him tbh.

Until Dave(and his mum), I had never really spent any time around staff x so was learning things from his mum what he would be like. Thankfully he is't as much of a fruitloop as she was! :D

a GSD will be my next dog and I will be doing TONS of homework before getting one, even though I already have experience with the breed and know a fair bit.

x

20. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

I did loads of research before choosing my breed/breeder etc but i'd have to say no amount of reading will totally prepare you, what you read on paper is not always what you get Lol

My wee boy is a dote but that doesn't mean life's a total breeze, just means that it's not as bad as it could have been :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice