Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Did my rat have some kind of fit?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Sophie_xxx, May 31, 2010.

1. Sophie_xxx

Sophie_xxx PetForums Member

Hi all,

Ive just witnessed my 1 and a half year old female dumbo rat Pixie do something worrying. I heard some scuffling in the cage so had a look, saw Pixie having what looked like severe hiccups! She seemed to slump a little bit afterwards so I stuck my hand in to give her a stroke and it took her a good 5-10 seconds to realise I was stroking her, usually she is quite skitty! When she realised, she perked up but then seemed to stagger a little bit, as if she couldnt see where she was going. I kept an eye on her and she climbed to the top of the cage where she then rested her head on the floor - she looked like she couldnt hold her bodyweight up! I picked her up straight away and she was quite limp, just hung her head.

I lied down on my bed and rested her on my chest, she just lay there quite lifeless not really responding to much! Really thought she was dying to be honest :( The only thing she was doing was bruxing her teeth alot. After a few minutes of me stroking her, she all of a sudden woke up a bit and became her normal self! Started sniffing around and being more lively. I put her back in the cage and she has gone into her normal hidey place in the tube.

Im so worried about her, she was fine this morning when she had breakfast but I have been out all day so havnt seen what she's been like. She has been eating and I havnt seen any sign of illness. What do you think this was? :confused:

#1 Sophie_xxx, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  2. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Was anything coming out of her mouth? Rats can choke on various things - google Ratty Heimlich if you would like to know more.

They can also have strokes, and mini-strokes, and if you don't know much about the parentage of your rats then she could have come from less-than healthy lines. Some poorly bred rats can start developing old-age symptoms at little over a year.

They can also have fits & seizures but these are much less common and you would be in no doubt if you had seen one, much like you would automatically know if you'd seen a human having a seizure.

3. Sophie_xxx

Thanks for the reply. No I checked her mouth and it seemed fine, she was just bruxing.

Ive just given her some food and she is eating normally, she just looks tired now. Her sister Baby is fine, and the other older 2 females in the cage are also lively. I'm just going to keep an eye on her I think :(

4. Sophie_xxx

Pixie now has brown discharge coming from her eye and nose. Taking her to the vet tomorrow, she is still interested in food though. Hope she'll be ok :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice