Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Did I kill my cat?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Grief, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Grief

Grief PetForums Newbie

My gorgeous 13 year old boy died last night - I am heartbroken but also feel it’s all my fault.....

He has had a weight problem all his life but then he started losing weight a while ago but he was eating fine, happy, active, cuddly and purring like a trooper so I didn’t rush him to the vet (he goes regularly anyway for his jabs and check ups).

He went in yesterday for some blood tests, he doesn’t like the vet so when he was listless and breathing hard when he got home I wasn’t too worried but then he had a seizure and died a couple of hours after returning home.

The vet told me this morning that he had very high thyroid readings so might have had a heart attack and the stress of the visit might have brought it on.

I can’t take the guilt, reading the Internet it seems like hyperthyroidism is easily treated, so did I kill my beloved boy by waiting too long (or by taking him yesterday) - I have been crying for 12 hours straight

2. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I am so very sorry for your loss. Please don't blame yourself. Sometimes things happen beyond our control.
    Yes Hyperthyroidism can be treated but by the sound if what you have said he might have had a Heart attack. It is quite natural to blame yourself but you did everything you could for him.
    I lost a very young cat through a Heart problem and i blamed myself for not detecting it. But I know deep down if I had thought in anyway there was a problem he would have been straight at the vets.
    Take heart that you loved and cared for your Boy for all of his 13 years. He would have know that too.

Sending you some Hugs xx

3. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Grief: Hyperthyroidism can and does cause high blood pressure (mine went blind as a result, even tho' she was on medication for the thyroid problem). Normally a cat with a thyroid problem will lose weight but at the same time scream for food and always be hungry. Saying this, not every cat will show these symptoms, so you were not to know he had a problem. I had one who collapsed and died shortly after a vet visit for a routine diabetic check, something he'd been having weekly for a few months. You do the best you can for them as you did for your boy. So sorry you had such a sad loss. XX

4. Grief

Grief PetForums Newbie

Thanks guys, the kind words help, I am torn by both the grief and the guilt - he was the best cat ever and brought us joy every day!

5. Mattco2001

Mattco2001 PetForums Newbie

So sorry for your loss. You absolutely cannot blame yourself. My girlfriend is doing the same thing after the loss of our boys. You did what you thought was right for your angel. Heighnsight is a horrible thing, it is not your fault. You loved your boy and did what you thought was right. Please don’t beat yourself up. Stay strong x

6. Bella's Human

Bella's Human PetForums Newbie

I am sorry for your loss :( i'm sure your cat knew how much you loved him

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice