Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Did I handle this right?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sarah1983, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Coming out of the woods today we practically walked into a dog who was...well let's say less than friendly shall we? On leash and under physical control so no harm done, just lots of noise and lunging.

Anyway, for the first time since I've had him Spencer reacted badly. His hackles went up, he stiffened and he made those huffing noises. I carried on walking, encouraged him to come with me and rewarded him when he did. He kept turning to look back with a bit more huffing but I kept encouraging him along and rewarding him for walking with me. I didn't make a big deal of it, just a "let's go" and a finger snap, same thing I do when I want him to come with me at any other time.

Did I handle that right? Anything else I could have done or should do in similar situations? He was his usual friendly self with all the other dogs we saw so I assume it was the fact this one was having a go that caused him to react but I'd rather him ignore it than react back.

2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

I would of done the same

3. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

You handled it the same way I would.

4. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

I don't see what else you could have done. In my experience dogs are like people, and there are some they just don't like - especially if the other dog is already showing aggressive behaviour.

It's a bit like being with a testosterone filled male. If another chap walks past and insults him, he'll turn to have a go back, with you're saying 'come on , leave it, it doesn't matter!. :D

If you have lingered then that would only have made things worse.

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

That's what I do. The rottie that attacked Kilo walked across behind us earlier and had a bit of a go and Kilo started to skitter - I just walked faster and 'jollied' him then gave a treat when he was coming with me and relaxed. If I had stuck around Kilo would have got more worried and possibly had a go back.

#5 Dogless, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  6. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Yes i'd have done the same thing too.

7. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

That's what I do with young Fred. :)

8. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Thanks all, it's exactly what I'd have done with Shadow and Wolf and it's what came naturally but after having Rupert I find myself second guessing almost everything :rolleyes:

9. 2Cats2Dogs

2Cats2Dogs PetForums VIP

You done superbly. Demonstrated restraint and control of yourself and your dog. I would've done the same thing. Not much else you could've done. :)

10. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

Yup, having a lead reactive dog, I wish everyone would do the same as you. :)

11. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

i do the same and will continue to...if there's nowhere for me to go (say it's a teensy path and the barking dog is coming straight for us) and i can see mine getting more antsy/ reactive i'll stop him ask for a sit and have a play with a toy he only gets on walks then ask the other owner to carry on past whilst i have a wee play with mine

i can generally tell if i can walk him past ignoring the other dog or if i need to step up to bigger distraction rather than have a bark off on my hands.
    :)

12. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

We were just coming out of a teensy narrow path onto the main road, the guy with the dog was coming in from the opposite way we were going to turn so it was easy enough to just carry on the way we were going and let him carry on into the woods.

I've not been able to interest Spen in treats or toys when a strange dog is close :( I usually try to keep walking because I've found having him sit and wait seems to get him even more frustrated about not being able to say hello and that's when he's likely to lunge and bark.

13. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

they're all different, sounds like you did the best thing for yours by walking on- :D

Guess i'm lucky bruno is easily amused sometimes... now if he'd only stop being a scent money for deer life would be peachy!

14. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Lol, Spen's completely ignored deer when they've started up right under his nose but other dogs...ugh, cry, cry, cry, want to play, cry, cry, that's my new best friend and you're not letting me go play, cry, cry :rolleyes:

15. LurcherOwner

LurcherOwner Guest

I think you handled it wonderfully.

16. Julesky

Julesky PetForums VIP

QUOTE=Sarah1983;1062454234]Lol, Spen's completely ignored deer when they've started up right under his nose but other dogs...ugh, cry, cry, cry, want to play, cry, cry, that's my new best friend and you're not letting me go play, cry, cry :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Be warned;)- he used to ignore deer and go wild to see other dogs...:eek:hmy:[

17. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

Well said :) I wish the same!

18. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Don't forget I've been there with the reactive dog ;) Oh so many times I wished people would just bloody move on with their dogs without any fuss or comments instead of hanging around or faffing about.

19. LurcherOwner

LurcherOwner Guest

THIS!!! I may not have a "traditionally" reactive dog. (PLAAAAY WIIITTHH MEEEEEEEEE! Kinda reactions) But bugger me I do not want you trying to hold a conversation with me while I am attempting to keep all 4 feet on the ground tyvm.
    Nor do I want you, when I manage to get him in a sit, to stop right behind/infront of me.
    :rolleyes:

Sometimes other dogwalkers make me grumpy.

20. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I always give those with reactive dogs a nod and a smile as I hurry past or away from them. I figure the last thing they need is me hanging around telling them how I used to have a dog "just like that". So many people felt the need to stop and talk at length about their dog who was "just like him" while Rupert made every attempt to beat their dog to death with his muzzle :rolleyes:

Oddly enough though people seem to hurry past Spen who's whining and wagging his whole back end :confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice