Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Did I do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by polishrose, Nov 22, 2012.

1. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Let all the rats out for free range on the stairs tonight-they loved it...after about 40 minutes all the babies climbed on me..had a cuddle for another 20 mins and put them back in their cage-all this time Klaus was still exploring the stairs.
    I went to pick Klaus up and he screamed like someone was attacking him.Put him on my chest with my arm underneath him and stroked him-he hissed at me and squealed-now I knew that wasn't hurting him so I just carried on thinking he's got to get used to it eventually.He put up with it for a bit and then nipped me, but not as hard as he used to.I left my hand there and told him how silly he was and carried on stroking him.He put up with it for a bit and then nipped again, so I did what I've seen him and the babies do to each other which is kind of pinned him down by his neck firmly and stroked him firmly.Then I let him go but carried on stroking.He went to nip me again so I did the same thing talking to him calmly that he wasn't allowed to bite as it's not nice and that I wasn't going to take my hand away so he'd better put up with it.After that I let go and he turned around and snuggled down and let me stroke him without trying to nip me.
    I thought I'd try this as it wasn't an aggressive bite like before-more like a how dare you stroke me you lesser mortal bite :D
    Anyway-was I ok to do this?

2. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

What you are describing sounds like power grooming, I do it to my boys too :)
    It worked for you and Klaus so yes it was the right thing :p

3. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Thank you :) I have a feeling once he realises I'm in charge not him, he will end up a lovely squishy cuddly boy-just have to keep working with him.And actually I'm pretty mazed he is as tame as he is considering he was alone and unhandled all that time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice