Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Did he suffer?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jank, Aug 3, 2009.

1. jank

jank PetForums Newbie

My dear cat, Leo, died yesterday. he was at least 16 years old, and had been fit most of his life, but had a thyroid op in Feb which seemed to give him a new lease of life. I left him and my other cat overnight on Saturday, and when I returned he was very distressed. he had lost control of his back legs and bladder, and was very weak, When he saw me he began to cry. I tried to move him to get him to drink water or eat but he just wanted to crawl away and hide. My husband and I put him in a box with a rug, but he was so uncomfortable and trying to get out of the box and would not stop crying. We called the vet, but about an hour later he stopped crying and put his head down and died. I am wracked with guilt that he suffered - he was in pain or scared or both. I feel I let him down when he neeed me the most.

2. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

He was probably a bit confused with not feeling himself and being placed in box with a rug (which was really nice). I am so sorry for your loss.

3. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

So sorry for your loss. May Leo run free at Rainbow bridge.
    You and your Husband did you best.
    He knew that you loved him as you have cared for him for 16 years.
    I think no matter what we do for our animals when they die we always think we could have done more. I think this is natural and in time all those happy memories of him will be more in your mind then the day he passed away.

When you feel a little better you might want to display his best photo of him in your room or have one put in a locket to keep with you all times.
    I found doing this helped me.

4. Superpettoysrus.com

Superpettoysrus.com PetForums Senior

Hi,

I am very sorry for your loss.....i suppose it comes to us all and their is nothing that can be done. But 16 years is a good age for a cat and i bet he had a fantastic life so dont beat yourself up about it....its obvious he was looked after well x x

5. aella851

aella851 PetForums Junior

~Im so sorry for the loss of your cat, 16 years is a great age for a cat to live for. Im sure you will treasure the memories in your heart forever xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice