Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Did anyone see ...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Happy Paws2, May 5, 2017.

1. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Super Vet last night?

I cried buckets last night when Neol had to put Belle to sleep. I can't help wondering if the owners had been brave enough to let him remove her leg in the first place, if she'd still be a live, but it's something no one will ever know.

Run Free Belle

2. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Yes, and I was in bits too! :Bawling

Have to admit, had that been my dog I'd have had her leg amputated first time around. Dogs cope perfectly well as tripods and it would have saved her the unnecessary further operations that ultimately killed her :(

3. Happy Paws2

I agree, we have two of them round here a Grey Hound and a lovely chocolate Lab.

4. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Just googled the story...

Larger breeds don't cope so well with amputations and in most cases I have seen dogs with osteosarcoma rarely live long after amputation as it's so aggressive it comes back within months if not weeks. I have made my OH promise to stand up to me and not let my heart rule my head if it happened to any of our Rottweilers, given its prevalent in the breed, and do what's right by the dog and not us. I don't watch supetvet and I do like him his love of dogs shines through on Crufts , but I struggle with the surgeries he's done on dogs with people I know because while he might of extended life by a few month or in some cases years I don't think the dogs had the best quality of life :( just because we can doesn't mean we should :(

5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

The reason they didn't amputate the right leg was because there was problems with the left leg as well and the dog would of been in pain if the left leg had to take all the weight.
    The only real choices were the slim chance surgery would work or PTS.

Maxine67 and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. jamat

jamat PetForums VIP

My daughter got quite upset to Alfie nearly got strangled from all the hugs she was giving him while it was on

Maxine67 likes this.
  7. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

It was heartbreaking, she was such a beautiful dog. He did say, didn't he, that he didn't know whether it was best to continue with physiotherapy or amputate so they opted for amputation and being something he hadn't done before, I suppose, the risks were high. I expect most of us would do anything first rather than put our pet to sleep but its so stressful, up when things look good and down when they go wrong and end tragically.

Maxine67 likes this.
  8. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Nope. I have spoken at length to OH about this, and have asked him to be strong for ME because I know I'd want to do anything, BUT I have to not let my heart rule me head, and make sure I only do whats right by the dog. I am adamant that he has to be strong for me, and he has promised, if PTS is the right thing to do then he will make me see it's the right thing, no matter how much it hurts us both.. Especially because in most case when they find OSA it has normally metastasized :( there is rarely a good prognosis with OSA.

9. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Having spent many years trying our best to keep our Flint alive and happy, pain free and as healthy as we (and Noel F) could possibly get him, I am afraid that I am of the opinion now there are NO amputations, NO major surgery unless the percentage is high in the dog's favour for any of our dogs. None of us have a crystal ball and we don't know what's around the corner, but, honestly, I would not wish those five years I had with Flint on my worst enemy. Not knowing one day to the next what it would bring, then a good few days, weeks and months, only to have them shot down in-front of us again. I think there is a point of no return for us, now sadly it's sooner rather than later.

Don't get me wrong, I love all my dogs and would do anything for them, "provided" as I say, the outcome was virtually guaranteed they would have an excellent quality of life, adequate is not enough.

I also have my personal views on Noel Fitzpatrick, I think he's brilliant, forward thinking but also egotistical but I do like him. (Not keen on the touchy-feely bit though, I find / found that to be uncomfortable).

I caught the tail end of the show last night and saw Belle's plight. My immediate thought was that she wouldn't survive much longer after the amputation either. Having poorly dogs suck, but, as dog lovers we keep on doing it time and time again for the rewards they bring us over the years. Never gets easier though does it.

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I absolutely agree. I do not watch it for the same reason but I did really like him on Crufts. I have had a dog with bone cancer. She was a very fit 12 year old but there was no mention of amputation. The lab report suggested she had 3 months to live and as far as I can remember the vet did not even discuss treatment. She was absolutely fine for about 6 weeks, had a couple of weeks when you could see something was wrong but she was still fairly normal and then was acute overnight. Why would I have wanted to put her through treatment of any sort just to prolong her life by a few weeks or months.

11. Maxine67

Maxine67 PetForums Member

Yes watched it with my daughter - lots of tears here too! :(
    But the hedgehogs made us smile :)

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  12. Happy Paws2

I agree some operations he does just to give a dog a few more months does worry me, but for giving a heathly dog a Prosthetic leg or paws that gives them years of a happy life I see no problem with that.

13. Little-moomin

Little-moomin PetForums VIP

Oh I found it so emotional. What a beautiful dog. I love how emotional Noel was as I think it's humbling. It's such a tough situation and I think it's hard to comment having not been in the situation myself.

Maxine67 likes this.
  14. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

My first JRT was three-legged. They took away the whole leg including the shoulder. I got him from a rescue and the assumption was that the leg was badly broken at some point. Too bad to save. But otherwise he was perfectly healthy. Could still run faster than I could! :D

But I have read that it's more difficult for bigger dogs. Especially those broad across the chest.

15. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Oh I'm with you, I do question some of the decisions made by the owners & Noel himself. I was just saying to my mum yesterday actually when I told her about this particular case that sometimes there is kindness in letting them go without having to try everything and anything to prolong life. I know exactly how far I will allow things to go for my own dogs too.

16. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

My mum's Lhasa Apso (co-owned) has osteosarcoma in her right elbow. it has metastasized and is in her lungs. She was scanned, x-rayed and diagnosed on 6th March and we were told to take her home and enjoy her. She is still with us but has good and bad days. Today was a bad day and she has slept a lot. We know that we are on borrowed time with her. She has just turned 10. I don't watch supervet as I'm not keen on Noel although I can't take away that he performs some absolute miracles with he prosthetics etc

IMG-20170313-WA0003.jpg

17. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

One thing about what happened to the Boxer had me thinking. When Noel did the first surgery, he commented on how the tissues had stuck down. Hindsight's a wonderful thing, but if there had been any questioning about what had caused the tissues to stick, and the likelihood of it happening again...... If he had put the membrane to prevent scar tissue sticking in then, as a precaution against what had evidently happened before, the second surgery probably wouldn't have been necessary, the physio may well have worked well enough, and Belle would have recovered.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice