Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Did anyone else see this film or just me?!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jen24, May 18, 2010.

1. jen24

jen24 Banned

Boy in the striped pyjamas?
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did anyone else see it? please tell me it disturbed you too!! it really effected me! i cant even put into words how much or why but i hated it. the film itself was good but arghhh i couldnt watch it again, it was so sad it was horrid and made me angry!!!!

i was just replying on another thread about a film and it reminded me about this one so thought id ask who else has seen it!!

(i do apologise for the size of text, for some reason it wont change back to small lol)

2. Wyndham

Wyndham PetForums Member

yeah, i bought this on dvd, i have an interest in WW2 so thought it would be interesting to watch, very well made film but same as you i was disturbed for a while

3. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

It's so sad, we watched it before after visiting Amsterdam on a culutural trip last year (we also visited a transit camp from WWII). We had been studying the Holocaust in depth, and had also watched the Anne Frank film. Dare I ask if you have seen that? That film disturbed me more than the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. It is still such a touching film and very hard hitting. It had me and many other classmates nearly in tears/in tears!

4. jen24

jen24 Banned

oh im so glad its not just me that found it disturbing. maybe if the ending hadnt been what it was i would have not been too bothered by it cos it os very well done. but that ending still gives me the shivers now. its just so sad. i obviously knew all about the jews and germany ect ect but to see that was a thousand times more informative and too real than watching ann frank! ive got her book which ive read many times so i thought id be ok with the film but i wasnt lol

5. jen24

jen24 Banned

i dont think ive seen the ann frank film. ive read her book many times and i saw the made for tv ann frank series. it was a 3 part thing if i remember rightly.

6. Rick

Rick PetForums VIP

It is a disturbing film. It covers a disturbing topic.

Why did it make you angry?

7. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

Yeah I watched that too, but the film was brought back from Amsterdam when my grandma visited Amsterdam a couple of year's ago (before I visited with school) and my mum and I sat down to watch it. It's like...4 hours long!

8. jen24

jen24 Banned

lol i dont mean i went raving mad, just a little angry at the whole thing. why it happened, that is shouldnt have happened, you knw. i hate what people do to each other. and obviously as it actually happened it makes you think doesnt it.

if that makes sense!!

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Absolutely agree with you there. But did you get as angry about Guantanamo Bay?

10. Rick

Rick PetForums VIP

Right! I thought it made you angry that someone had made a film out of it.

It never ceases to amaze me how bad people are capable of treating each other.
    Even when it isn't direct, just look at the fact that there are as many obese people in the world as there are starving.

11. jen24

jen24 Banned

i cant explain it, but anything to do with the holocaust really gets to me! i dont know. i judt didnt think a film would so much.

12. dobermum

dobermum PetForums Senior

Hey Jen & Pets!:) How's y'all?

Sorry for l8 delay in answering your topic.

I read the book of 'B.I.S.P' and then made the grave mistake of watching the movie. Always the same scenario - totally different, with the book ALWAYS winning hands down. The movie did not move me at all. I thought it was dull and boring - whereas the book really moved me - never expecting it to end as it did.

Best wishes!

D :)

13. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

I haven't seen the film OR read the book, but I'm guessing by the tone of this thread that it's to do with the Holocaust? I won't look it up on the IMDB as I'd like to download it and watch it first now it's been mentioned.

My best friend is Jewish (she's over from Israel this week actually). In her direct family they were all told stories about their relatives and what happened to them; not just in Germany, but in Europe too. Another very good friend of mine is Jewish, and a couple of years ago he went to Czechoslovakia to visit the place where his grandparents had a shop and a home until the Nazi's arrived (he still has the photos in his family album of his family and their shop with flat above). When he came back, he put the photos in an album, and it was very sad seeing the transition of his own family photos to black and white photos with the Star of David on the shop and broken windows, followed by his modern day pictures. His mum remembers being shot at running down this street towards her parents as they took them away. His mum only died last year. It makes it all very "present" in my thinking. I won't go into the stories that my best friend told me, if only for the sake of this being a family forum with juvenille visitors, but I can say this...the gas chambers and mass shootings that the history books tell us about are the "cleaned up versions" of the holocaust. Anyone reading this with Jewish blood or lucky enough to have been considered a "lucky gentile" at Passover will know what I am talking about.

It's also important though to remember that it wasn't just the Jewish people who were affected. Communists, trade unionists, liberals, social democrats, Freemasons, anarchists, emigrants, gay people, Jehovah's witnesses, gypsies, mentally disabled, mentally ill, Alcoholics, Vagrants and beggars, Pacifists, Conscription resisters, Prostitutes, and even German born blonde haired women who had married any of the above were all met with the same fate..."extermination".

Ask yourself...based on the list above...how many of your friends or family (including yourself) would have survived if you were arrested?

14. marysmith

marysmith PetForums Newbie

I haven't seen that film and don't know may be it is for the better after all these comments. I would rather watch something else.

15. jen24

jen24 Banned

Hiya :D

We are all very well thank you, up nice and early this morning as my youngest has slept very well all night so a bit tired lol

How are you and your lot? well, i hope :)

i havent read any of the books, ive just got back into reading though so i may have to buy them and see what they are like.

xx

16. jen24

jen24 Banned

hi. sorry, dont let us put you off, its very well made film, just a bit sad. i think it got a few rewards actually. im just sensitive lol :)

And welcome to the forums :D

#16 jen24, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  17. jen24

jen24 Banned

i always ask myself that question when i watch anything to do with this! then i think about it for days on end!!

its all so sad, its hard to even think of how sad/bad it all really is/was really. :(:( x

18. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

My great aunt was smuggled from hungary in 1943 along with her sister. They were sent to two seperate families in the uk who were friends of their family. They didnt arrive in the uk until after the war, having been moved around with the jewish resistance. The rest of the family were sent to the berehov ghetto and then the survivors (survivors of the ghetto) were sent to the gas chambers of auschwitz.

She and her sister are the only surviving members of her large family. 3 brothers, mums dads, cousins, grandparents etc were all killed in the holocaust. Neither sister had children.

Back to the film, the thing that disturbs me most, is that it seems almost expected that the little jewish boy will be killed. Thats what happened and we all know about it so expect it. The shock comes with the little german boy being killed, and somehow that seems worse than the jewish boys murder. Thats what makes me feel so uncomfortable about the film.

I can reccomend these films much much more, and some do show more of the true horror that happened to the victims of the nazi reigeme.

The last days - documentory but well worth watching
    The grey zone - horrifying true story of one group of sonnderkommando in auschwitz
    Out of the Ashes - a story of a jewish doctor forced to work for mengele, and providing life saving abortions for the women of the camp

19. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

I saw the film some while ago and have to say that it isn’t the hardest hitting film to watch even though it conveys the abject isolation of people on both sides of the fence. For me the final 5 minutes told me everything that needed to be told about the horrors which lurk within the minds of men. Yet still we see the ghosts of history roam the earth to haunt nations with similar terrors.
    History evidently teaches us nothing!

20. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

This is one of the worst films ever made - the book on the other hand is absolutely brilliant....it is an incredibly disturbing book written originally for the 11 to 13 year old age group but a really clever way of presenting the holocaust.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice