Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diarrhoea ... possible causes???

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sbonnett76, Sep 23, 2013.

1. sbonnett76

sbonnett76 PetForums Senior

Hi all,

I'm after some advice / opinions.

We've had Luther for 6 weeks now and for the past 3 weeks or so he has had diarrhoea. He seems fine in himself, wasn't off his food and we put it down to the stress of leaving his original home, being in kennels and then coming to us, change of food brand etc.

I have been inspecting (gross!) when he's been and there is no blood or anything untoward in his poo. We were giving him cod liver oil, which we have now stopped (but started glucosamine and chondroitin last week) and the food he's on is really good quality with no nasty cereals, preservatives or additives so we were hoping that he would settle down, but unfortunately he hasn't.

On top of that, he had his first cartrophen injection yesterday. He's having them weekly for a total of four weeks.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced any side effects i.e. diarrhoea as it was mentioned to me that it's possible. I've done some research on Google and found the following:

Clinical experience has not demonstrated clustering of side effects. From 70,000 animals treated, 5 drug-related reactions have been reported: 2 cases of abdominal bleeding, one of which had a splenic haemangiosarcoma and the other hepatic peliosis/telangiectasis; 2 cases of vomiting after each injection; and 1 case of diarrhoea.

If diarrhoea had been a side effect, I was a bit concerned that it could mask an underlying issue based on the existence of diarrhoea prior to the injection, but having read up, I don't think it's related to the cartophen.

So, as of this morning we're doing a 24 hour fast and only allowing him water. We will then gradually get him back onto food with boiled chicken and white rice and my intention is that if he's not better by the end of the week, I'll call the vet.

I guess my questions are - has anyone experienced any side effects from cartrophen and if so, what were they and how long did they last for? If it's a separate issue, is the 24 hour fast followed by gradual introduction to plain food a good thing to do and if that doesn't work, a vet check?

He'd had an accident in the kitchen over night and the poor boy looked so forlorn this morning, I just want to fix him. Roxy was looking at me as much to say "that really stinks mum and it wasn't me"!!

Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice