Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diarrhoea in kitten- at my wits end

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Ammy, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

I am boring myself with this but please bear with me while I try to make sense of this and make it better!!!

To recap, Toska is a 18 week old BSH with intermittent diarrhoea- sometimes we have a day with one normal poo and the next we will have awful sloppy poos which seem to get everywhere when he tries to bury them!! :rolleyes:

We have seen the vets twice and it may be a congenital issue (Toskas litter mate was born with no bowel and his litter mates have loose stools). We have had antibiotics, pro-kolin and 2 days of prescription food to settle him. We have changed his food from RC to orijen and grau.

The reason I am typing again is that we had a great day saturday (1 solid poo :thumbup:), worse yesterday (4 loose poos) and worse again today (brown watery poo :() and am at a loss what to do anymore. I thought that changing him to a better diet would make the difference but I am losing faith :( I left him with dry food today with slippery elm powder on it and took the wet away but he has eaten nothing all day whilst I have been at work :( (am going to try and make a syrup on hobbs' recommendation!)

The vets have been ace- in constant telephone contact but the senior vets gut feeling is that this will be a case of managing and not curing.:(

I am wondering if there is anything else we can do? ANYTHING. I really am at a loss. Hobbs has been marvellous and we are going to try some phyllius husks this week but is there anything else we can do?? Has anyone else been in this situation??

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Just quickly Ammy. I will pop the psyllium husks in the post to you tomorrow morning, so you should have them Wednesday.

But I had a cat once that had IBS. We managed that really well with a raw diet. Ok, slightly different in your case I guess but have you considered raw?

Also, Bagpuss had chronic colitis when he was a kitten. With him it turned out to be food insensitivities. He is doing great on raw and high quality food now.

Edit: Ammy, why did you take the wet food up and left the dry down? I presume overall slippery elm is more easily disguised in wet food as it dissolves than in dry food.

#2 hobbs2004, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  3. sophiew

sophiew PetForums Member

A long shot, but if he's had antibiotics have you given a probiotic to restore the 'good' bacteria in the guts?

Hope there is light at the end of the tunnel, it's such a worry when they're sick

Sophie
    x

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

This is probably way of the mark here but has your kitten been tested for t-feotus.I have only heard of it and do not have experience of the condition but do know that it is seen in multi cat households and pedigree breeding catteries.

5. Ammy

Ammy PetForums Member

Erm.....now you mention that I don't know. It just seems logical that the wet would upset his tummy more than dry??? :confused: Would wet be better for his tummy?

I think this could be a case of IBS or colitis, that kind of thing. Definitely a poorly functioning bowel. Maybe I could try some raw. I have some lamb mince in the freezer???

I know it sounds awful but i don't enjoy much time with him at present- I'm on constant tray watch, bum washing, worrying and food analyzing- its exhausting!!!!!! :(

6. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Ammy, I'd definitely try the raw!

The marked difference in poops in my lot in just 6 days of gradual changing over to DAF mince is unreal. It seem logical to think that in the case of you boy it may also be of great benefit. He will absorb most of what he eats only expelling the stuff his body doesn't need ... which is not a lot.

As for the Pro Kolin ... how ofter have you been giving it to him, and how? When one of my girls had a dicky tummy (started off yellow foam, then gradually going to brown, and then firm over a week) it worked a charm. But that was giving her 2 - 3 1ml portions a day. I also used a smaller syringe to give it to her as I found the large nozzle on the pro kolin a bit too big for kittens.

7. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Can I ask what colour the poo is ?

Have you looked into TF ?

Here is a good link

Tritrichomonas foetus infection in cats

You will have to have take a fresh poo sample to your Vet and send off for PCR testing which will rule out this or coccodia, guardia etc, many Vets are quite in the dark about it just now as the treatment is not licenced so it may be worth printing out the FAB sheet and taking it along to vet.

In the meantime, I would give Raw a try, or RC Sensitive 36 (if they are on dry) can help until results come through.

#7 Milly22, Sep 6, 2010
  8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

What always got me is the sense of helplessness. That was the frustrating bit for me. I just hated seeing either of them suffer.

Whereabouts in the country are you? Edit: Doh, Warwickshire.

Yes, you could try some raw mince tomorrow and even for a couple of days to see whether that has any effect. But in the long term you will need to feed a balanced raw diet, which you can get commercially preprepared for you (well, some anyhow) or you can start making it yourself with a little reading and persevering.

Dry food tends to firm stools up because it zaps the gut off water, so the stool gets harder. However, the flipside is that cats get dehydrated more quickly, particularly since they don't drink a lot naturally. To make matters worse, a cat with diarrhoea needs to up its water intake to make up for the water loss. Following that line of reasoning, it would be counter-productive to feed a cat dry food when the cat has a runny tum.

#8 hobbs2004, Sep 6, 2010
  9. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Hopefully it will be IBS, although TF is cureable. I have a girl with IBS and she is a nightmare, especially as she tries to eat ANY foods she is not allowed, poor girl.

10. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

How is she doing on the raw Milly22?

11. tc.catz

tc.catz PetForums Member

The "salvation" for our pup was a food called "Intestinal" by Eukanuba. It is prescription only. When all else failed & he was one sickly pup, it brought him back from the brink & I cannot praise it highly enough. It is fantastic stuff & yes they do it for cats as well. Chronic diarrhoea is no fun. Ask your vet to get you some in. It's like a miracle food.

12. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Thanks for coming along .I was out of my depth with this.I knew about the condition but not enough to explain.

13. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

She was doing great on the Natures Menu but we ran out and you had said it wasnt good, so she is back on Prize Choice but detests it and is losing weight so back up to the butchers tomorrow!!

14. tc.catz

tc.catz PetForums Member

What's wrong with Natures Menu? I thought it was one of the better foods. Our Tim has come on in leaps & bounds since going on it.

15. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Oh :eek: True, I don't think highly of it as a food for cats but if she is not eating the Prize Choice (which frankly isn't much better imo), if she was doing great on it and while you are waiting to hear back from those other guys, why not get her some of that as well as some offal and perhaps use some calcium supplement in the meantime.

Have you looked into the DAF minces in Scotland or are you now making your own food anyhow?

Edit: This is the raw food we are talking about I believe - lol, well that is the one I am talking about here. Not the wet food pouches.

16. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Who me no I am clueless!! I was using food4cats, yes raw food :( It's minmum £60 order so she will have to wait until later this week. Towards the end of the 20 packs (beef and tripe) she was getting a little fed up with it.

Kittens love it!! They like prize choice, cheese, chicken (growl). I am just buying from Tesco and my local Butcher but have no idea where i can stock £60 worth of raw, I shall have to get another freezer.

I am unsure how I managed to order £20 worth last time. :confused:

Going to google DAF.

17. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Found one they deliver on the 13th!! :thumbup:

18. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Really? Wow, that was easy! :D

You only need to add some taurine to the DAF minces and perhaps some salmon oil now and again (they are the ones that Aurelia is now using in her thread). At least they have the right amount of bones and offal.

What better excuse than to get yourself a freezer for the cats' stuff? Try the freegle or freecylce sites - who knows, maybe you can pick one up for nothing as Aurelia suggested. Worth a try!

Sorry for the thread diversion Ammy! :eek:

19. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Yeah, definitely try freecycle or the likes :lol: Let me show you why ....

This is 1 months worth, and there is also some bones, chicken wings and and half again the amount of minces in the little chest freezer we have outside in one of the barns!

[​IMG]

The top two compartments are for our stuff :lol: I think we love our animals more than ourselves :D

20. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Holy **** Man!! I need a chest freezer with my lot. :D Two litle drawers at the top wth some frozen peas and chips, oooo amd Aunt Bessies dumplings I betcha!!

Yes I will put a thing on Freecycle today, I need a treadmill too anyway.....:rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice