Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diarrhoea after vaccinations

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by slavetorobbie, Jun 6, 2010.

1. slavetorobbie

slavetorobbie PetForums Member

Robbie (13 weeks old) had his second vaccinations today, as well as his microchip and a worming treatment. He has been ok overall, just a little sleepy but he's just used his litter tray and has quite bad diarrhoea. He is eating and drinking normally and doesn't seem to be unhappy or anything.
    As well as his vaccinations, he has also had a change in diet recently. However, I don't think this is the cause as the change has been happening for a week now and he is still having his usual Felix kitten food mixed in (50:50) with his new wet food.
    I just wondered if there's anything in particular I should do apart from obviously keep an eye on him and see a vet if it gets worse, make sure he drinks enough etc? Is there anything I should/shouldn't feed him?

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Poor little mite - things are not going too easily for that little paw, do they?

Personally I think it is more the worming that is the culprit than the jabs. Do you happen to have some pro-kolin paste to build up the bowel flora?

3. slavetorobbie

No he has had a few problems in the last few weeks - hopefully his luck will improve and he'll be extra healthy as an adult!
    I don't have pro-kolin, where can I get it from?
    The wormer was a spot-on treatment which he did manage to lick a little, so perhaps it has upset his tummy?
    He doesn't seem to be feeling unwell at all, he's playing and running around as always which is good as I start a new job tomorrow and can't be calling in sick to care for my cat on the first day!

4. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Its more likely it is the wormer that has upset his tummy - his system will be absorbing the drug and killing and destroying any worms that he has and this usually results in diarrhoea to.:)

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

They certainly choose their time to have runny tums! You can get the paste from the vet but you can also get it online, which is cheaper. Such as from this site: ttp://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-405-protexin-pro-kolin-paste.aspx?CAWELAID=448554347&. A great thing to have in the cupboard - great for any form of diarrhoea and to reestablish the gut after worming and infections etc.

The other thing you could do for a day or two is to feed lightly boiled chicken with some cooking water (and a little white rice if you like - if he is ok with rice). That is a light food that frequently sorts out dodgy stomachs. If it is the wormer then I don't think it is strictly necessary but will do no harm!

If he is looking not himself, is appearing lethargic etc then back to the vet but my money is on the wormer.

#5 hobbs2004, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  6. Tje

Tje Banned

I think it will be the wormer too... and I would expect to see an improvement (vast to total) within 24 hours of the worm treatment. My own eldest cat always reacts quite badly to worm treatments. Have tried so many different types and she is always a bit pukey/on the runs. Sometimes immedaitely after the treatment (liek within 3o minutes) other times it takes hours, but she is always a bit off colour till about the following morning.

7. slavetorobbie

Ok thanks everyone, I will invest in some pro-kolin this week for future use!
    I'll keep an eye on him and pop home during my lunch break tomorrow to check and feed him etc, but hopefully you're all right and the wormer is the problem so he'll be back to normal very soon.

Thank you :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice