Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diarrhea/Thyroid help.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Servant of Maud, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Servant of Maud

Servant of Maud PetForums Newbie

My cat, 18 years old, 2.41kg, has been diagnosed with an over-active thyroid gland. We initially took her to our vet because we noticed weight loss in her, we weigh her at least every week as we do with our other cats, and she had gone down from around 2.7kg to now 2.41kg. The problem is that the medicine we were given for her gives her diarrhea and I feel is counterproductive since she ends up passing food probably without having processed much nutrition, makes her uncomfortable, and you also have the problem of risking dehydration - and this was from just initially giving her half the dose prescribed.

So we have just been feeding her more often, and she has been maintaining her weight of around 2.4kg for a few weeks now, but the problem is I'm worried all the extra food and work her body is having to do is making her uncomfortable or harming her.

Does anybody here have experience of a thyroid medication that doesn't give their pet diarrhea, or any dietary or medicinal solutions to diarrhea that we could use with her prescribed medication to counter the undesirable effects?

Thanks very much.

2. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I have a 20year old girl who has had Hyperthyroidism for three years. She has Felimazole at the moment and has not had diarrhoea. When she was first diagnosed she had Methimazole transdermal gel which is rubbed inside the ear and absorbed through the skin. That might not cause diarrhoea in your girl. I had to stop using it because we could not keep her stable on that but my vet at the time had experience of giving it successfully to cats longterm.

I should add I believe that diarrhoea can be a symptom of the condition and possibly, if you can stabilise your girl, it may stop.

chillminx and Servant of Maud like this.
  3. HappyKitty

HappyKitty PetForums Member

There are different types of thyroid medication so do speak to your vet.

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

My boy is currently on Thyronorm which is a liquid form of thiamazole. Although not specified for use with food I add it to food with my vets blessing and it works well with no side effects.

Leaving hyperT cats unmedicated even feeding them more has long lasting and serious effects. It increases their metabolism, heart rate and blood pressure and can lead to blindness and heart failure. It also makes them feel hyper and anxious with racing heart feeling. If your current form of medication is causing issues then speak to your vet about other options. It may be trial and error to see which works best.

chillminx likes this.
  5. Servant of Maud

Thank you for your responses. I'll speak with my vet at the earliest opportunity and ask to try a different medication. She was prescribed Thryonorm which was causing her problem, so who knows, perhaps switching it to something else might work.

#5 Servant of Maud, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

8 yrs ago I had to switch one of my previous senior cats to the transdermal gel (methimazole) after he was unable to tolerate any of the oral medicines for hyperT. (he had diarrhoea and vomiting on the oral forms). However as QOTN mentioned, it can be harder to keep a cat's thyroid stable on the transdermal gel, and I did have quite a struggle with it for that reason.

7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

You do need to go back to the vets, and I suspect bloods need doing again. In humans diarrhoea is one of the symptoms of an over-active thyroid, so the problem might be he is currently being undertreated rather than the medication is causing it. My thyroid cat certainly had problems in that department until he was on the right dose. Either way you need to talk to your vet.

kittih likes this.
  8. Servant of Maud

To be clear, she started having bad diarrhea the day she started the medicine and then it stopped soon after I stopped giving it to here because she was in such discomfort. Her stools are now normal but she is eating quite a lot. I've got an appointment with the vet booked anyway so hopefully it will all be sorted out and thanks to this forum I know what to ask for.

I did measure her heart rate (putting a sound recorder close to her chest, loading the sound file up on the computer and counting the clear beats to get a very accurate measurement) today and curiously enough it was 216, which seems to be well within the normal range for a cat.

9. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Thanks for the update. Please let us know how you get on and what the vet suggests. All if us dealing with hyperThyroid cats have different experiences and out cats all react to the various meds differently so it's really helpful to hear from others what does and doesn't work for them. That way we have a bigger pool if experience to use to advise others.

Hope your kitty is soon feeling their usual self and you find the best meds for her. Just as an aside for the benefit of lurkers out there, whilst heart rate may or may not be elevated, blood pressure can also increase from hyperThyroid and you won't necessarily be able to tell from monitoring just heart rate. Increased blood pressure can lead to strokes, blindness and heart failure.

10. Servant of Maud

Okay, a quick update, sorry for the delay.

She has had two vets appointments about 2 weeks apart, in the last she had a blood test, and her thyroid was found to be better than it was the previous time she had a blood test, the previous time it was borderline. Also in the latest blood test her protein levels were a bit low. The vet did not recommend giving her any thyroid medication though, and told us to just keep feeding her the Royal Canin sensitivity control Chicken and Rice and to keep an eye on her. Her stools are still solid and her weight is stable, but she is still eating a lot.

So, all in all, not a bad result. I'll take her back in a couple of months for another checkup unless there's something wrong and I need to take her earlier.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice