Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diarrhea in 6-7 weeks old kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by saxa21, Aug 5, 2009.

1. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Dear All,

I had my kitten since last Saturday. Bought from a pet shop. Been de- wormed and deflead on the purchase date.

For the past two days he's got runny poo. I fed him Whiskas wet pouches for kittens over 5 weeks of age since I got him. As I am away from, home most of the day I left him the 1 pouch to eat. By the time I come home the bowl is completely empty. The I give him 1/3 ot the pouch in the evening. I also gave him whiskas milk for kittens over 6 weeks (approx 2 soup spoons). I stopped the milk yesterday and changed him to dry iams for kittens as from today. I also made sure that he has got plenty of water.

Any ideas why this may be happening? Anyway we are seeing a vet on Saturday.

2. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

Hiya,

It could be lots of reasons, a virus, the change in circumstance, change in diet etc.

What were the pet shop feeding him?

It's a good idea to stop the milk, water is best.

3. kezzy

kezzy PetForums Junior

Hi we picked up our 7 week kitten Alfie on Thursday last week and since Saturday he has had diarrhea.

He is fine in himself, playing and eating and drinking lots. the only problem was the runny poop! we even tried the boiled chicked diet for 2 days to see if that helped but nope!

Took him to the vets today as I was getting concerned that it hadnt stopped and his suggestion was as he wasn't being sick and was fine in himself was to worm him and take him back next week if theres no improvement. Alfie also has a bit of a sore botty so he advised to use a cotton bud and a tiny bit of vaseline to soothe.

Oh we also feed him whiskas wet and dry food and the vet said this was fine. Hope your kitty feels better soon.

4. BALOO J.

BALOO J. Guest

Poor lil soul, don't like dry food, or whiskers, get lil one on a better diet sweetie. keep us informed.:)

5. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Thank you for your reply. I've seen him eating some kind of cat food, however it definately did not look like a kitten food as the chunks were quite large.

6. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

I give him a portion of wet food in the mornign and in the evening and during the day I leave him dry iams for kittens. I today received the delivery of Royal Canin Babycat tins and dry food. Will change him to that as many of you said whiskas is really not good.

Would you recommend Hils as well at a later stage?

7. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

Hills is very good but Royal Canin baby is good too.

A lot of cats want wet food though and you should probably look at getting something like Applaws kitten.

8. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

You have to keep a close eye on him to make sure he is drinking and eating and isn't getting lethargic because they can get dehydrated and get very ill, very quickly at that age.

9. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Well sadly no improvement at all :( When I left him dry food (iams it was) he had no poo at all on Wednesday. Yesterday I have him a portion of Royal Canin Babycat food. As soon as he's eaten that he had runny poo :( Dont know what to do. We are going to the Vets tomorrow and see what he says.

How do I make sure my kitten drink enought water if I leave him dry food only? He seems to be very very greedy when you give him wet food (always screams for more) but does not like dry one. Not sure why. I've got Babycat from Royal Canin for him as well. And as advised in here I thrown whiskas away!

I am worried If I leave him only dry food he wont drink enough. I will try to cook him some chicken breast today. Hopefully this will help.

Any ideas?

10. BALOO J.

BALOO J. Guest

Hi is applaws kitten only a complementary food? or is it a complete food with all the vitamins & such. I'm sure the normal tins are only complementary with chicken(large %) etc, ash/rice/pumpkin etc no minerals or vitamins.

11. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

Chopping and changing foods is not good, I realise you want to get to the cause but by changing foods you are putting his little bowel under stress.
    It is always a good idea to find out what the breeder was feeding him and continue on that (as long as it is proper food), no matter if you agree with it or not, for a few weeks until they settle in. Stress of leaving home is very apparent in young kittens and if you also change their food then they suffer and it can all be shown in the poo.

As long as he isn't looking unwell and is eating and drinking I would stick to one food and see if he settles. Obviously if he is getting a lot worse then you may have to rethink and at that point I would take him back to the vet in case he has some sort of infection.

12. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Thank you all for a good advice.

We went to the vet today and was told he had upset stomach beause most probably he has worms. I was also told that none of the stuff from the pet shop really work for fleas and worms. He was dewormed and treated for fleas :)

The vet recommended royal canin babycat for him as he happened to be 7 weeks old today :) (which thx god I bought last week) and recomended to mix with with boiled chicken breast :)

I am really happy Heniu is all healthy. Shame that the pet shops selling kittens just want to make money, they r sooooo greedy. My heart breaks when I think of the fact HEniu was there since 4 weeks old.

13. automaton2

automaton2 PetForums Newbie

14. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Another few tricks I have read are garlic throughout the food, pumpkin as previous poster said, Slippery Elm bark (herbal) and Cats Claw (herbal) mixed in with food.

I think you will find the Royal Canin does the trick it did for Misty but she gets soooooooooo bored of it!

15. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Thank you for advice.

At the moment I am giving him only boiled chicken breast mixed with Royal Canin Babycat Dry food. STarted on Monday and will continue till the end of the week to see if his stomach settles. If yes then I will slowly add wet food back to his diet.

I hope that now once he's been dewormed he'll be better.

16. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Good plan. Hope he is better. Let us know. :)

17. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Will keep you posted :)

18. automaton2

automaton2 PetForums Newbie

19. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Oh! Haven't read just now but I must stop re-iterating what I read else where. The man seemed to swear by it too.....:rolleyes:

20. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Applaws is complementary except for their dry food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice