Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

diarhea after being neutered.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by annax, Jul 9, 2009.

1. annax

annax PetForums Junior

Hi there.

i had my year old dog neutered on monday. after coming out he was given some food to eat from the vet to help recovery and that was kind to his stomach after surgery.
    But since tuesday night my dog has had bad diarrhoea. surely the food i was given cant be causing this as its ment to be gentle on the stomach, or is it??!!!
    He doesnt seem to be poorly in him self, just alittle more tired but that could just be because of the operation.
    Anyone had similar experiences or any thing to add please do, would be good to know~!!
    Oh my dog is a jack russel X shih tzu.

thanks!!

#1 annax, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  2. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Is it the Royal Canin chicken and rice tinned food they gave you? Our pup had diarrhoea a couple of weeks ago and they gave us this and some Pro-Kolin paste which is very good and seemed to do the trick. I've ordered one from VetUK just to have in in case it happens again.

If the diarrhoea continues I would just give the vet a ring and let them know.:)
    Hope he's better soon.

3. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I've never had to give a dog food from the vet after an operation of any kind. I've always just given them either chicken or scrambled egg for a few days, that was on the advice of my vet.

Terri

4. annax

annax PetForums Junior

yes it was the royal canin chicken and rice they gave me. so do you think this is giving him diarrhoea? hes only got a little bit left in the last tin then he'll be going back to his normal dry food (bakers complete puppy) although i think he'll sulk because hes not getting the tinned food anymore, haha.

thanks!!

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Is your dog on any medication at all?

6. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I have never been recommended anything but their normal food after an op cant really see why food should be changed after an op really, but i wouldnt give him any more and give him some chicken and rice for the next couple of days if i was you.

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Vets "recommend" a recovery diet as its REALLY expensive, and they make a nice profit from it.

There's no medical reason a dog should need it, and imo, a sudden dietry change should be avoided. I just feed a small meal of what they usually have that evening, then its back to normal the next day.

8. annax

annax PetForums Junior

no hes not on any medication.
    and i gave him the food the vets gave me after his operation because you always believe they know best and i only want the best for my dog.
    but as of today i am now only feeding him his normal food, hopefully this will sort it out!!

cheers guys!!

9. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Are you sure it isn't the Bakers that has been upsetting his tummy because our Bichon puppy was on bakers when we got her. We got her on Friday night and took her to the vets for her 2nd injection on Monday evening. I got some wormers for her and wormed her the day afterwards and then in the early hours of Wednesday morning she had diarrhoea. We took her to the vet on Friday as her tummy was still upset and the vet prescribed the royal canin and some pro-kolin paste. After a few days she was absolutely fine again and I took her off the bakers completely because its not a good food for dogs, and threw it in the bin.

She had the three tins of chicken and rice and is now on Nature diet puppy which I buy from pets at home but have found cheaper online at Netpetshop so ordered from them today.

I think it was a combination of the injection, wormer and bakers that upset her tummy. I mixed the nature diet with the royal canin for a few days before I put her on nature diet completely.

10. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

When my boy was castrated they said feed him less food for a couple of days I split his food up and fed small bits 4 times a day then he was fine again. Some dogs have an allergy to chicken in wet or dry food mine does. So maybe try the duck/rice one.

11. annax

annax PetForums Junior

no hes always eaten bakers dry food and has never had diarrhoea until now.
    But the good news is that since yesterday i have finished the food the vets gave me and put him back on his dry food and fingers crossed is number 2's have hardened up :)
    hopefully it now sorted!!

thanks guys!!

12. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I gave my boy chicken and rice and scrambled egg the next day...he was fine. The vet nurse said for me to give him something like this because they still have the anaesthetic in their system and they will have a gippy tummy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice