Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diamond Doves

Discussion in 'Bird Health and Nutrition' started by Nudoves, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Nudoves

Nudoves PetForums Newbie

I inherited a male DD last year. He had a partner that died before I picked him up. I bought the largest cage I could find. After about two months I got a female and another very large cage that we joined together to make an even bigger home for them. After a while the female started laying eggs which we removed and replaced with plastic ones. It appeared to work. However one day I noticed that the male was bullying the female and kept pecking at her. I caught her to examine her and found that he had pecked her quite badly on the back to the extent that it had bled as well as a loss of feathers. We immediately separated them and took her to the bird vet. I went on line where some people said if you have a mirror remove it as it makes the male aggressive. We kept them separated for about one month and decided to put them back together again. He seems slightly less aggressive but still pecks at her but more around the neck this time and less on the back. I’m worried that he might hurt her again but they seemed a bit distressed when they were separated so I’m reluctant to go down that route.

Does anyone have any suggestions as I don’t know what to do. Thank you
    Nudoves

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice