Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diahorea in our pup

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Mccjen, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Mccjen

Mccjen PetForums Junior

Morning
    So it was our second night with Luna last night. I came down to let her out in the night and she had had diahorea in the crate. She seemed very upset about this and got laid across my feet. I stayed downstairs with her the rest of the night she slept but was a bit clingy and unsettled.
    She has had a little drink this morning and I haven't fed her as yet as it's a bit early.
    She is 8 weeks old. She was wormed on Thursday and had her first vaccinations yesterday morning. It is also red hot where we are which doesn't help. She was fine yesterday formed stools , ate really well, played etc- happy little pup. But she's quiet this morning and I'm a bit worried.
    Has anyone else experienced diahorea and a quiet pup post vaccinations?
    Thankyou jen x

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Sometimes the stress of moving away from mum brings on diarrhoea. Small pups can dehydrate quickly making it more serious than in a mature dog so keep an eye on her and get her to the vet if it continues. Encourage her to drink plenty.

lullabydream and Mccjen like this.
  3. Mccjen

Mccjen PetForums Junior

She's had a 6.5hr sleep and has woke up full of beans! She's eaten and had a good drink. She's had several weed and 2 soft but formed poos! I'll keep a close eye on her today but I'm so relieved! I haven't slept for worrying about her. It's like having another baby all over again!

JRB123 likes this.
  4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Keep a good eye on her..stress of moving to live with you plus having her vaccinations is the probable cause as already pointed out..often a change of water can effect too. Some worming tablets, however that's usually the day after...

As you sort of asked the questions yes sometimes vaccinations can make dogs sleepy. So always be aware of that.

Just remember this is the start of your journey on poo watch, which makes you a paid up member of dog owners club.

Watch the amount you feed Luna too...

If intermittent loose/ soft stools become a thing...am talking months rather than weeks. A vet check is always useful, as certain bacteria and protozoa can cause this and are quite common in puppies. Usually easily rectified too

5. Mccjen

Mccjen PetForums Junior

Thankyou! Will do!
    She's back to causing mayhem at the moment thankfully. But I shall keep a close eye on her x

6. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Just another tip - I always keep a 30ml tube of Protexin Prokolin in the fridge when I have a new puppy. They are prone to eating undesirable things and can suffer from bouts of diarrhoea in the first few weeks. You can buy it online from somewhere like Animed Direct. I also keep a tub of Dorwest Tree Bark Powder in the cupboard as that is very good for settling upset stomachs.

Of course, if your puppy is unwell then it's very important you get her vet checked.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice