UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vet and I had a chat this evening and he said Kali has arthritis, mainly in her back right hip. The x rays are much better than the one's I had done in July at the other, emergency vets and I just wish I had gone to my own vet then but thought it may have been something that needed immediate treatment.

He said you can see arthritic changes in the femur of the right hip (on the left here).

The other vet said there were hardly any but that x ray was no where near as good as this one. The knee is lovely and healthy, so is the spine and no arthritis there. Good news really and no tumour :thumbsup: Now he is referring her to a hydrotherapy unit nearby, having her on a weight monitoring programme, starting a course of Cartrophen injections and wants her on 1500mgs of glucosamine/chondroitin daily. I'm putting her on mobile bones and emu oil. She HAS to lose 10kgs, he said if we can achieve that she will be a different dog.

So - much as I am loathe to do it - I am completely changing her diet for a while to this:
Old Champ! - CSJK9 Ltd.
I know people who fed commercial on the Mal forum who rated this food, so for Kali's sake and not my ideals I am giving it a try. TBH I can't shift the weight on raw even though I have cut it down and hardly give her minces. She'll still have some raw meals but the CSJ woman is working out a diet plan for her so she'll mostly have that.

I have to try and get this weight off and this may be the only way, after three months of trying I'm getting nowhere.

Good that it's something fixable and he said her hips are actually in quite good shape so losing weight should be all she needs plus the help of Cartrophen courses two or three times a year.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Glad that at least you now know the answer and there are things that can be done to aleviate the problem.

·
Sois pas chiant, chéri.
12,133 Posts
Helpful to have the diagnosis. I can see the shadow on the right hip (bit of an expert after millions of these, canine and today, horse's hock, handy practical lesson from the vet) What a sod to have this.

Can't remember who told me, but raw=natural supplements for bones. It gives them glucosamine and chondroitin as that's where those two come from anyway. You told me about green lipped mussel, which is the only thing that helped Zak. I used Mobile Bones for months, saw no difference. Mobile Bones doesn't contain chondroitin but does have MSM. You can make your own mix cheaper. Add the usual oily fish etc.

Ultimately, hydro, painkillers, keeping her lean and decent exercise to support the build up of muscle around the joint are what I think work.

Horsey, but I doubt there's any difference for dogs/horses:
http://www.horsesupplementsdirect.c...ements/equine_supplements_for_healthy_joints/

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that cinammontoast, I'll have a gander at what's in various supplements. Would also think there's not much difference in human stuff either, that's what Hugh (vet) told me when Flynn was having them.

One thing I will say is looking at Kali's hips now at seven, they are in pretty good shape yet she still has a bad limp and showing arthritis - just imagine what Flynns would have looked like at that age as his were so much worse at 18 months. Makes me realise even more now that I was right to have his replaced. Bet he wouldn't have been here!

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
I am sorry that Kali has arthritis; but in a way it's good news compared to the other possible options you were given isn't it? At least you know what you are dealing with now too.

Good luck with the diet change (I'll expect moaning about poo size very soon :p) and her weight loss.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Like others said, at least you know what you are dealing with and of all the outcomes with arthritis at least there is a lot of knowledge out there, a myriad of medical and alternative things you can try and so possibly one of the easiest to manage (not that my friend whose diagnosis came at 25, now can't work and walks with a stick at 35 would agree I dont suppose :eek:)

·
Still missing my boys
42,320 Posts
Sounds the perfect mix of treatments :)
It's what has kept Alfie active for the last 3 years with his dreadful knee arthritis. :thumbup:

You say Flynn was on supplements, is he not on them now? :confused:

Sometimes hydro centers do offers for two dogs ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.