Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diabetic

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by rebenda, Jul 2, 2009.

1. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

Hi all

well as you can tell from name of thread it has something to do with diabetic

dog!, well my dog has been urinating alot recently so i decided to get a urine

sample and take it to work for testing (vets) it showed up he has some

glucose in his urine:( i was hoping it would mean he just has an infection and

could be cleared up with antibiotics but when i had a word with the vet she

wants me take him in tonight on my shift to do a blood glucose test and

another urine sample test which i got this am, im totally gutted for him

although if he is wev caught it early which im glad about! i'm just praying hes

not! tonight should be fun anyway hes gunna hate me for taking him in he

gets quite nervous in new buildings and im gunna have to put him in a kennel

for couple of hours while i do my work:( really want tonight over and just

know the result in the morning

wish me luck:)

and well done for reading through my minnie 'gutted' rant :(

poor teddy

Beckyx

2. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

Poor Teddy and poor you!

I will have my fingers crossed that the tests do not return the results you are dreading. Even if they aren't good just stay positive and keep focus on managing his condition.

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Best of luck for him. Fingers crossed it isnt diabetes.

Have they done a blood test at all? Or just a urine one?

Ive known a few dogs with diabetes, they cope extremely well, and it doesnt thave a huge impact on their lives.

4. rona

rona Guest

Fingers crossed it's not.
    Let us know how it goes, do you get results tonight?

5. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

Not done a blood test yet i took a urine sample in last night on my shift and shes said to bring him in tonight and we'l test him when the vet comes in in the morning, im just so glad if it is wev caught it early and i knew what signs to look out for as most people dont realise and sadly it doesnt get caught in time:(

i just know it will be stressful for him if he has to be admitted and stabilised
    :( But iv got the best vet in the place seeing him so ive no worried about his treatment, iv seen many dogs live quite comfortably with diabetes ill just be paranoid all the time if anything will happen when we'r not in but we'l cross that bridge when we come to it with his treament:)

thanks for the fingers crossed :)

6. eastcliff

eastcliff PetForums Newbie

how is teddy?
    i know what your going through my german pointer had diabetes for 3 years before he passed away at 13 but he still enjoyed life i soon learnt how to take blood and inject insulin twice a day if teddy has diabetes you will cope i am sure we can help with any advice you need

wish you both well

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice