Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diabetic dog

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by munners, Aug 19, 2009.

1. munners

munners PetForums Junior

Hi

I have a eight year old diabetic dog who needs too have insulin twice a day, after meals the problem we are having is she has become very fussy with her food she seems to know that she has us over a barrel and looks at her food as if to say is that it what else have you got and as it is so imprtant that she eats every twelve hours we have been finding something else.

Well now she is point blank refusing too eat she will have it when she is ready and not before so the insulin regime is out the window. We have spoken to the vets and all we get from them is well she must eat every twelve hours but no help with how we are to achieve this.

So my question is (At long last i hear you say) does anyone else have experiance with this problem and if so any ideas how we can sort this because if we dont we are going too lose her.

Regards
    Nicki

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Is she on a special or restricted diet? If not you can try mixing some tasty things into her food.

If shes being fed a dry food, you can aslo try adding some warm water, and this brings out the smells and makes it more palatable.

3. munners

munners PetForums Junior

No she isnt on a special diet just a strict routine.We are way past the mixing tasty bits in with her food we are now at the well what will you eat stage.I have even given her my dinner before just so she would eat and i ended up will a sandwich bless her.

Thanks for your reply
    Nicki

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You could try something like tinned fish. Sardines and pilchards go down really well. In oil or sauce is fine.

5. crazyeyes

crazyeyes PetForums Junior

I my diabetic dog recently was not well, and I had the same problem would not eat her regular royal caine dry food (which has a appettite encouragment in it - somehow ???), and would not even eat chappie which is our normal fall back when she lacks an appettite (as its only fish and rice), but she would eat cooked turkey mince (thought it would have less fat in so thats why chose it), or poached haddock As she got got better I put her back on to chappie with her normal dry food, and next next step is back to her old food.

I hope you find a solution as I understand how frustrating it is, as you cant explain it to them that they need their insulin. :eek:

Good Luck like you say sometimes I think mine does it out of devilment too and you end up worried sick - but normal I have an emergency can of chappie to hand - which I think she knows:D

#5 crazyeyes, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  6. crazyeyes

crazyeyes PetForums Junior

How are you getting on?

7. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

Hello Crazyeyes,
    good to hear that Dana is feeling better :)

Sorry to butt in your thread,munners :blushing: hope you find a way that works soon.

8. ChucksMom

ChucksMom PetForums Newbie

How often is she being given the opportunity to eat. Does she get food only at certain times, if so, what times? Is she allowed to free feed? If you can get me these answers I will try to assist.

9. Sharon White

Sharon White PetForums Junior

10. Sharon White

11. SixStar

SixStar Banned

This thread is six years old :)

Sharon White likes this.
  12. Sharon White

Oops!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice