Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Diabetic dog with Pancreatitis

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by GoldenRetrieverman, Mar 11, 2017.

1. GoldenRetrieverman

GoldenRetrieverman PetForums VIP

My aunties dog showed symptoms of a major stomach upset - diarrhoea, being sick and distancing herself outside. She had her to the vet and they diagnosed pancreatitis. Had her on a drip over night. Bill was over £900!. They sent her home saying they thought she had picked up, which my aunt said she hasn't. She is in the same condition as when she took her in. Anyway tonight she wouldn't eat, she has been advised to give food before an injection for her diabetes. But the dog would not eat, she managed to feed her some mackerel hand fed but the dog ended up going outside and throwing up. So she decided she couldn't give her the injection without an expert opinion, so she phoned the vet, they advised to bring the dog in, bill £600! for an overnight stay on a drip. Can somebody of knowledge of this please advise?

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

With pancreatitis, any high fat food is likely to make things worse. Mackerel - oily fish - is high fat. White fish is much safer. What ended up happening last night, did your aunt take her back to the vet?

rona likes this.
  3. GoldenRetrieverman

Yes she stayed with the vet on a drip over night. She tried the mackerel because she wouldnt touch the haddock she tried.

4. GoldenRetrieverman

Just heard the vet has put the dog on a recovery diet and is eating small bits

5. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Senior

my Murphy had acute pancreatis would not advice mackerel, it can take weeks to get under control, the important thing is getting the sick under control, bland low fat diet, like white fish, porridge, or potato, little and often, then pain relief and anti sick medication from the Vets. As its really painful, work with your vet, hope their insured

6. GoldenRetrieverman

Thanks pennyLokiMUM i will tell her. I am going to suggest Arden Grange partners sensitive as its low in fat.

No she hasn't got insurance, 2 nights at the vets and tests has cost £1500 so far!

7. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Senior

Murphy cost us over £1000, they advised us any low fat around 8% fat content, we had him on a raw diet, the important thing now is rest, recovery and get it under control

8. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

When one of my dogs had acute pancreatitis she was at the vets for 2 days and the bill was £1500. You can ask the vet for itemised bill so you can see how many meds and how much care they receive when in intensive care.

Hope the dog is OK now. I was advised to feed food with fat content of 7% or less. I feed raw and find lots of Naturesmenu nugget range are within the parameters. Good luck.

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The 7-8 % often recommended is for DRY FOOD ONLY. Wet food, and raw is about 75% water, so you have to exclude that before working out the fat content of the dry matter. A wet food with 7% fat will be equivalent to over 25% fat as dry matter.

10. GoldenRetrieverman

I believe something like Arden Grange wet fish or Naturediet fish would be good thing, they are only 2% fat. Dog is spending another night at the vets. After hearing what they have charged, i have totally lost trust in vet (practices). £600+ a night? its extortionate amount of money.

11. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

Have you asked what they are doing for the money? If not why not?

12. GoldenRetrieverman

Well no its not my dog. But i do not see what can be worth 600 pounds a night.

13. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

Well perhaps your aunt would ask to satisfy your curiosity? Where does she live? Some places like London are more expensive then say, the 'provinces' :)

14. GoldenRetrieverman

North east england, which compared to london you would probably get a 3 bedroom house for the price of a flat! As far as i am aware, they have had the dog on a drip and monitored her, give her pain killers. Absolutely disgusting what they have charged.

15. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

Is/was the dog at his usual vets or an emergency vets? Out of hours emergency vets costs are higher than 'normal' hours fees. Have they run in house blood tests? Have they sent bloods to an external lab? Have they scanned the dog? My dog's scan £200.

16. GoldenRetrieverman

It is out of hours vets. The bloods were done at her own vets. I think it was just over night care, which yes you expect it to be more expensive, but am i the only one here thinking that amount is just crazy money?. Vets are not particularly well paid considering how qualified they are. These vet practices must make a massive amount of money.

#16 GoldenRetrieverman, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  17. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

18. GoldenRetrieverman

Dog is back home. Much better she said. The the vet said she can only have the pain killers for 4 days and i think today maybe the 4th day. She is eating and much happier. Thanks for everyone's posts/help.

19. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

That's great. Hope you will heal too. (The wounds caused by the vets' fees :D)

20. GoldenRetrieverman

Well my aunt you mean. She is over £2000 worse off!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice