Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

diabetic dog cant swallow

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jacqueline h, Mar 14, 2014.

1. jacqueline h

jacqueline h PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,I have joined you in hopes someone out there can help!My diabetic yorkie has scar damaged oesophagus due to 2 ops to remove foreign body,and even liquidising then sieving his food he is regurgitating it,there are still 'grainy'bits in it.He's fine with water.Can I get a liqid food for diabetic dog anywhere?Any suggestions are more than welcome as I'm desperate!jackie

2. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about your little dog has the vet made any suggestions as to any liquid for I would think that's the best place to ask first

3. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

Don't know of any liquid food but could you try feeding by hand say a teaspoonfull at a time rather than letting him help himself.

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

You could soak whatever food he has, and liquidise it in a blender until it's at a consistency he can manage. Then little and often. What does your vet suggest?

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

The only truly liquid food I know of is something called liquivite, its suitable for dogs and cats with chronic renal failure but Im not sure that it would be OK with a diabetic. I will link you to the info, perhaps you could contact them and/or show it to your vet to see if it would be suitable.

Veterinary and Technical | Liquivite - Liquid food for Cats and Dogs

Liquid food - Ideal for weaning kittens or puppies. Also appeals to the sick or older cat or dog

Contact details are on the website.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice